[how can i make two mtx900 radios talk to eachother]

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cheeseball168

[how can i make two mtx900 radios talk to eachother]

Post by cheeseball168 »

i jsut recently purchased two mtx900 motorolla radios
just to realise that they wont work together unless i pay a monthly fee to motorolla

is there a hacking or a different way to make them work as two way radios

[ PLEASE - read through the FAQ - we have some posting guidelines here - and choose your subjects correctly. FREE TRUNKING SYSTEM is not a good subject, as it implies you want to give away a trunking system. What you really seem to want is to know how you can make two trunking MTX900 portables talk to eachother. -Alex ]
yapalltheway
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: [how can i make two mtx900 radios talk to eachother]

Post by kc7gr »

cheeseball168 wrote:i jsut recently purchased two mtx900 motorolla radios
just to realise that they wont work together unless i pay a monthly fee to motorolla

is there a hacking or a different way to make them work as two way radios

[ PLEASE - read through the FAQ - we have some posting guidelines here - and choose your subjects correctly. FREE TRUNKING SYSTEM is not a good subject, as it implies you want to give away a trunking system. What you really seem to want is to know how you can make two trunking MTX900 portables talk to eachother. -Alex ]
The short answer is that you will first need to get your amateur radio operator's license, at least Technician class. Following that, you may be able to program a conventional 900MHz amateur channel into those radios.

Trunking radios do not, IMO, make a good start for a radio beginner. Yes, there is a monthly fee associated with use of trunking systems. This is normal and expected.

As for "hacking," you may as well put that idea to sleep right away. Even if you manage to do it, the system owner will be able to detect your presence in very short order. At best, they will simply shut you down. At worst, you could expect a visit from the local police, asking difficult questions that you would probably rather not answer.

There is no unlicensed band that I know of, for two-way radios, in the 900MHz region. If you just want a pair of radios that talk to each other, there are plenty of FRS units Out There, or you could find a pair of VHF portables and program them with MURS channels (no license required).

Happy hunting.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
cheeseball168

Post by cheeseball168 »

y thank you
so all i need to do pretty much is ring up motorolla and rent a line
is that it
yapalltheway
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Post by jwb8734 »

Well It's not that simple. Someone in your area need to have a 900 trunk system and your radios would need to be able to be used on there system. If it's just 2 of you and are not talking to far then bail out while you can, sell them and buy a VHF and used MURS freqs.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

There are four versions of the MTX900S, and the C5 and C6 models only have two conventional modes available.

The C3 and C4 models have 5 conventional modes(zones) and each zone replaces a trunking system, in all models.

The C4 and C6 models have DTMF fronts as standard, the other models, it's an option.

The C5 and C6 are 3 system operation, with 6 talkgroups per system.

The C3 and C4 are 6 system operation, with 3 talkgroups per system.

These radios are SMARTNET capable and 2 watts RF output.

The C3 and C4 radios have the toggle switches labeled: A.B.C.

The C5 and C6 radios have the toggle switches labeled : 1.2.3

The C3 and C4 rotary switch has the systems numbered 1-6

The C5 and C6 rotary switch labels the systems A-F

Talkaround is available on conventional frequencies ONLY.

NOTE: The MTX900S is NOT amateur friendly as it requires surgery and additional parts to get it to operate in the 33CM ham bands, your BEST buy would be to locate a GTX 900 Mhz portable or mobile, those are far simpler to get into the ham bands.

Return to “Radio Programming”