Saber new personality

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BrienD

Saber new personality

Post by BrienD »

I wanted another opinion so hear goes.
I have a saber I that is programmed in the 155 area. My agency has added more channels so I found a deal on a saber II but it is in the lower split that ends at 150.
Can I just swap out the modules and load a new personality.
Or do I make a new personality hex edit it add my channels and load it?
Thank you
Brien
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

The Sabers will typically go 1-2 MHz out of their particular split range before the VCO unlocks.

Since this is a low-split VHF the model number hack won't work.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Yea, if you swap modules you can enter a different band split personality and it will work.

I'm getting ready to do one now.
BrienD

Post by BrienD »

Cool. I spent today making a new personality with all of my channels zones names.
I am planning to copy the alignment info from booth radios before I start and use the saber II setup info to start.
It is still in the mail so I am chomping at the bit.
Thanks for the info.
Brien
1 Adam 12
sk

Saber

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Or you just take the Saber 2 case and display front and put them on your 155 radio, and create a new unit, as a model 2 or 3. Since its already tuned for that range, when the radio is about to be programmed , and asks if you want radio values or field tuning, select radio values and you should be set.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If he selects use radio values while doing the 'upgrade', the information will be wrong for the new modules, he'll need to go through a complete realignment once he programs the 'new' radio with the swapped modules as the new modules will NOT have the original tuning information programmed in them.

When swapping modules in a Saber, ALWAYS perform a realignment to get maximum performance and the least amount of garbage from the radio.

I would suggest NOT setting your RF output past the '73' mark in RSS to prevent excessive heat buildup do to too much RF being generated.

The Sabers have almost NO heatsinking on them as they are not designed for ham ragchewing and a long key down will create a lot of heat that could destroy the P.A if you programmed it to transmit at the maximum output( 7 Watts VHF ), and ( 6 Watts UHF ). Maximum levels should NEVER be programmed!

And as always SAVE your original codeplug data!!!
1 Adam 12
sk

Saber

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

AEC wrote:
If he selects use radio values while doing the 'upgrade', the information will be wrong for the new modules, he'll need to go through a complete realignment once he programs the 'new' radio with the swapped modules as the new modules will NOT have the original tuning information programmed in them.

Re-read the post, I'm talking about taking the existing model 2 display front off the low split, and putting in on the 155 split radio he already has. No need to move modules around. The options are he can blow out the front before or after he puts them on 155 radio, but since he didn't swap any modules, there is no mismatch... You swap a case and front shield, which is easier for the inexperienced . Throw the model 1 case and front on the low split and tell its a model 1... same scenario. Its just another option and I have probably done it over 50-60 times in the last 4-5 years. However I would at this point always do a tuning check, because it worth the few minutes to have a properly tuned unit.
Last edited by 1 Adam 12 on Fri May 12, 2006 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I see where I missed 'what' you typed......I've been running 18 hour days here lately and do not 'read' the way I should, that's my fault.

This falls under RTFM!

Return to “Radio Programming”