motorola mts2000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

krazyindahead187

motorola mts2000

Post by krazyindahead187 »

Hey there guys, i know this gets boring after a while, but i have searched the forums and got frustrated after the 4th page, so i was thinking you guys could help me
Specs
Motorloa MTS2000 full keypad NO top display 48 ch. 800 MHZ
Model: H01UCH6PW1BN
Firmware: 5.42 (toolproofing protected)

Ok so i got my radio, programming cable (aftermarket ribless design), and software RSS 6.0.0.0 or something like that.

I dont know much about the software, just that it needs to be run in a dos environment, however thats where my problems began

Ok, so i plugged it in and restarted my computer into dos mode and ran it from the command prompt...

It however does not load anything. It just loads runtime something and nothing else

Ok so out of curiosity i ran it from a windowed dos from 98 environment and got a little further. I managed to read 1 block from the codeplug before i ran into a buffet of errors such as

Checksum (multiple times)
Timeout
...somethng about ACKed/nACKed error
and some more checksum

anyone got any ideas

The software, as far as i know, is legit. My dad does this whole ham thing and invested a bit of money into different things. This is one thats just like collecting dust.
Last edited by krazyindahead187 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Post by gatekeep »

Ok ... well from the look's of the model number its an 800mhz radio ... you can forget trying to get this thing on a trunked system, because not only would it get bricked pretty much instantly, its illegal to do so.

The radio PROBABLY was programmed with an RSS newer then R6.00, I can almost guarantee that. Also, the RSS WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY IN A DOS WINDOW. You must run it in straight up DOS. Depending or not if the machine is too fast, will also complicate things. If you get the CPS version then you can program that radio in Windows.

Again though, this is mostly moot, as this is an 800mhz radio.
krazyindahead187

Oh yea, i forgot that part....stupid me....it is an 800mhz radio

What do you mean it will get bricked instantly?
I dont want to to anything illegal now...but i would like to learn to play with the options so to speak

Ok so if the radio was programmed with an RSS that is more recent, its not backward compatible

Is this why im getting the errors im getting

Oh and if its supposed to run in true dos, what am i doing wrong. I pluged the programming cable to the back of the computer, restarted my OLD COMPUTER system running windows 98 into dos mode, and i navigated to the RSS folder, and tried to run it

But i got nothing? i left it there for a minute or two and it wasnt doing anything....should i have left it longer?
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

Use a different computer.

I get that same error with MTSX RSS on my P4 laptop that programs Maxtracs just fine. I also got the same error with a PCMCIA serial card, so I got an older (P2-class Celeron) Thinkpad and that works. Wierd, but... that was the only thing I could do, I tried everything I could with my laptop.

You can't program your radio up on a trunked system without a system key provided by the people who manage that system.
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

krazyindahead187 wrote:What do you mean it will get bricked instantly? I dont want to to anything illegal now...but i would like to learn to play with the options so to speak.
As videonerd, has said w/o a system key you cannot program the radio on a trunked radio system. Even if you manage to, if the system is a SmartZone [as many systems are], your radio will brick quite instantly, as there is NO way to not have the radio affiliate with the system (it does affiliation at power up for SmartZone).
krazyindahead187 wrote:Ok so if the radio was programmed with an RSS that is more recent, its not backward compatible

Is this why im getting the errors im getting

Oh and if its supposed to run in true dos, what am i doing wrong. I pluged the programming cable to the back of the computer, restarted my OLD COMPUTER system running windows 98 into dos mode, and i navigated to the RSS folder, and tried to run it

But i got nothing? i left it there for a minute or two and it wasnt doing anything....should i have left it longer?
Correct, if the radio was previous programmed with say R6.08 of the RSS you will be unable to read the radio using an older version of the RSS. I have posted a method to "downgrade" the codeplug, but it requires lab, which can toolproof a radio (but if the radio is backed up properly its not a worry). Try a 486 machine for running the RSS, usually it will start pretty quickly.
krazyindahead187

i dont have access to a 486 machine, just an older pentium machine

i do know that there is a really really old machine runing something like windows for work groups....you think that would work?...i dont know the specs....off the top of my head...but it sounds old enough
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

You keep saying that you are "restarting" the computer into DOS mode. That is still not "real" DOS.

The best way is to use a DOS boot floppy (Windows 98 Startup disk will work too). Turn the computer on with the disk in the A:\. Now you'll be in real DOS. Run the program from there.

About trunking:
As stated above, 1) it's illegal and 2) you can't change anything in the trunking menus without a system key.

You can make the radio not affiliate as long as you don't set it up as a Smartzone radio, but again, if you don't have a system key, you won't even get that far.

Version 6 RSS is pretty old.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
videonerd

Post by videonerd »

What's the difference between pressing F8 to boot into "command line" versus "real" DOS?

Windows 95, 98 and ME are a just a glorified DOS shell, running DOS 7.10. That's the same DOS you're booting into from a Win98 startup disk.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

I know that, but I understood him as using the Start menu to "resart" the computer in DOS. I've had trouble with that in the past.
Scott
KE4FHH
videonerd

Post by videonerd »

Ah. I haven't done that yet, but good to know. Thanks.
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

If you have a computer with Windows for Workgroups on it, you can try that, as it is probably nothing better then a 166mhz Pentium.
krazyindahead187

RESCUE161 wrote:You keep saying that you are "restarting" the computer into DOS mode. That is still not "real" DOS.

You can make the radio not affiliate as long as you don't set it up as a Smartzone radio, but again, if you don't have a system key, you won't even get that far.

Version 6 RSS is pretty old.
Opps yea, i was doing...start> restart in MS DOS

I will try again by restarting and pressing f8... :oops: :oops: .stupid me i forgot about that

So no smartzone=no affiliation=no brick???

gatekeep wrote:If you have a computer with Windows for Workgroups on it, you can try that, as it is probably nothing better then a 166mhz Pentium.
If the other method doesnt work after i do it correctly...i will try the antique computer
:wink:
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

krazyindahead187 wrote:So no smartzone=no affiliation=no brick???
Nope, they can still brick your radio no matter if you transmit on their system or not.
Scott
KE4FHH
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

Uniden makes this thing called a trunktracker, maybe you've heard of it...
Not trying to be a smart *ss, but if you don't belong on the system, you have no business programming your radio to it, and can get yourself into some big trouble. Be careful what you play with.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Not adding to the upcoming flame wars here, but 'if' the radio in question never transmits, no matter what, then having a portable on that system is no big deal, and they can't just inhibit any radio regardless, as the site controller would have to 'know' a bootleg radio is active and responds to polling.

If his radio does not respond, it can't get inhibited simply by being on the system.

As for troubles....very little actually, the burden of proof lies with the sys admin to prove his radio is or was on the system, and prove by voice records that he did indeed transmit, if nothing can be proven...no case.

But to be square, it's always the safest bet to monitor with a scanner, that way no possibilities exist for even remote problems.

I hear so much banter about trunked systems as if these are the only networks worth watching over, when there are thousands of conventional systems that are just as active and just as 'worthy' as any trunked radio system.

I even hear the sheriff and police play on these networks, both trunked and conventional, so I guarantee it will be pretty hard to convict a listener simply in posession of a radio that 'can' transmit....

If this were the case, we ALL better never transmit again as I'll bet 99% of the radios we all own 'can' transmit on someone's systems, thereby making all of us guilty without proof.

I know for absolute certainty that NO P.S agency has a broadcaster's license.....
kb3awq
What radios do you own?: Kenwood and Motorola and Icom

Re: motorola mts2000

Post by kb3awq »

OK. I am having the same problem only mine is a MT-2000 top display and is VHF. Is there anymore about this. This isnt my 1st time programming but is the 2nd time I have tried to program this radio. I know about the dos part as I see it in every post. I get some check sums and the other one he has that starts with naed or whatever it is. I can get into the service part like the rx and tx deviation and power adjustment and the comm test works fine. Just can read the radio. I tried to use another codeplug to maybe try to dump in but it isnt from my radio so it says its not the right model #.
John W. Springman III - KB3AWQ.com
GMRS - WQGU515
videonerd

Post by videonerd »

a thread returns from the dead!

Run on another computer. MTSX RSS is very picky about the serial port hardware and timing. I know because I used to have a laptop (Samsung) that would get the EXACT same errors, despite having a real, physical serial port. MTSX simply didn't like the controller chip I guess. Moving to a Thinkpad solved it all the checksum and 'naked' errors.
ANB_Medic
was sja505
What radios do you own?: Jedi's, MCS's, and Waris

Post by ANB_Medic »

I use a 386 SX-25 in dos 6 for Jedis and the like.

Todd
Sorry, I can't treat stupid...
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

For what it's worth;

I use a Packard Bell Pentium 200 with 80mb memory and running Windows 95 for MTSX and HT/JT/Visar RSS.
Terry
kb3awq

Post by kb3awq »

OK. I thought maybe it was the codeplug from what I seen in some other posts which I forgot to save mine when I read it so I am looking for that of the model H01KDD9AA4AN I guess for now I only have a Pent 166 with win 98 on it. It used to have 95 when it was new 10 years ago. Has worked great with GM300, Maxtrac, ht1000. I was going to see if I could dump a good codeplug in to see if that would take care of it since I was able to read it once and many times it would read about half way and reset with the check sum and naked errors. I was able to write twice with no problem but that was just a test run the next day I didnt have the luck.

Thanks.
GMRS - WQGU515
PCSAR4x4652
What radios do you own?: MTS2000, Spectra & VRS/PA

Post by PCSAR4x4652 »

As this was my radio of choice.....

The best computer I found to program with was/is a IBM thinkpad. I use a 755cse 486/100 with no probs and no windows, DOS 6.22 only. The 3 tech's at the Motorola shop also use Thinkpads. but your choice...

Motorola RSS needs a STABLE platform. Windows is too unstable to run, If anything hangs or crashes you will have a nice brick or paperweight that says Motorola on it. :o
T. Freeman
PCSO Search & Rescue
Tactical Area Communications
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i use a thinkpad p2 266 and start the computer with a millinium boot disc and program mt2000's and mts2000's all day long with it and any problems have never been the machine, usually connection problems in the radio or dirty contacts on the side.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
kb3awq

Post by kb3awq »

OK, so like other radios there is a way to unbrick them and I have seen it done on MT1000's, I am in search of how to do this for the MT 2000 top display. Thanks.
GMRS - WQGU515
PCSAR4x4652
What radios do you own?: MTS2000, Spectra & VRS/PA

Post by PCSAR4x4652 »

Once you brick an MTS2000 you have to send it to Motorola who will then send it to Florida where the "robot" will give it a new "personality" and then you'll have to answer a bunch of questions as to how you "bricked" it in the first place. oh yeah and it'll cost you about $350.00 USD last I checked - 4 years ago.
T. Freeman
PCSO Search & Rescue
Tactical Area Communications
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

PCSAR4x4652 wrote:Once you brick an MTS2000 you have to send it to Motorola who will then send it to Florida where the "robot" will give it a new "personality"
Umm, not exactly... It will go to the Depot, where it will be recovered (checksum recalculated) with a computer and human hands...

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
techshop
New User
What radios do you own?: Motorola Astro III 800mhz

Post by techshop »

Just wondering if you can unbrick a MTS 2000 with the Depot software?
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

Blah, Blah, Blah.

1. The next to latest DOS software for the Jedi series is 6.00.07. I use a dual boot, 98 and XP Pro. This version works just fine in the DOS boot of Windows 98. This version programs all conventional and trunked Jedi radios except, obviously, HT1000's and JT 1000's.

2. The latest DOS software for the Jedi series is 6.00.08. I use a dual boot, 98 and XP Pro. This version works just fine in the DOS boot of Windows 98 but it only programs CONVENTIONAL Jedi radios NOT TRUNKED MODELS and, obviously HT1000's and JT 1000's.

3. For trunked models that have been tainted by the Windows version of Jedi RSS I recall that cloning an old codeplug from the 6.00.07 will cure the problem IF you have all the necessary system keys.

Another note:

If you want to know whether a RIB will work or not, genuine or knockoff try it with a Jedi radio. They're the hardest product to communicate with that Motorola ever made! If it works there it oughtta work for any Motorola radio.

73's

FY
I have a Halcyon TIMS. It has an audio spectrum analyzer.
I have an IFR 1200. It has an audio distortion analyzer.
I can test and alter the audio response and distortion of my analog radio system to make it sound better.
I have a pair of socks.
Why would I want to put them in my mouth just so I could sound like I'm using a DMR radio?

Return to “Radio Programming”