Ribless Cables

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jc29ems

Ribless Cables

Post by jc29ems »

Hello all,
I have a ribless HT1250 and CDM series cable and they work fine. A friend of mine recently told me that he purchased a ribless spectra cable. Now I have not seen any of these around and was wondering if anyone has ever used/seen one and what their input is? I'd be looking for a ribless spectra and mcs2000.

Thanks,
JC
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Ribless Cables

Post by kc7gr »

jc29ems wrote:Hello all,
I have a ribless HT1250 and CDM series cable and they work fine. A friend of mine recently told me that he purchased a ribless spectra cable. Now I have not seen any of these around and was wondering if anyone has ever used/seen one and what their input is? I'd be looking for a ribless spectra and mcs2000.

Thanks,
JC
Unless it came from, or was based 100% on, the Sandy Ganz design I wouldn't trust it to program a VCR, let alone any radio I cared about.

There have been many, many threads about getting the right equipment for programming. Some probing with the forum's search engine will reveal them, so I won't re-hash what's in them here.

Happy tweaking.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Will

Re: Ribless Cables

Post by Will »

kc7gr wrote: Unless it came from, or was based 100% on, the Sandy Ganz design I wouldn't trust it to program a VCR, let alone any radio I cared about.

The Sandy Ganz 'design' is much the same as the Motorola RIB. AND we have had problems with the Motorola RIB, as well as Snady Ganz and others on Spectras.

The so-called "ribless" interfaces are much better in most cases, BUT they STILL have a RS232 interface to BUSS conversion circuit as a Radio Interface Box does.... They do use much later and more correct interface circuit IC's. So the are not "ribless", just one peice RIB AND cable..

Ref:Some research has been done with the original RIB, and some modifications have been make to some of the values to make the circuit more compatible with RS232. The modified schematic can be found here: http://www.batlabs.com/images/rib_mod.jpg
jc29ems

Post by jc29ems »

Does anyone know where to purchase one of the ribless cables or rib and cable together as your calling it?

Thanks

Return to “Radio Programming”