Programming System Saber III

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

medic2078

Programming System Saber III

Post by medic2078 »

Problem: Unable to read or write to System Saber III (H43TUK5170CN)-has Securenet NTN5762B module

Radio is ex-gov't. Purchased used via the dreaded online auction house (Ebay). Seller was honest and stated radio powers-up, but seems to be "de-programmed, sold as-is". For the price I paid, I thought I'd couldn't lose.

Radio does power-up, and displays "Z1 A1". Using the keypad, I am able to advance to "Z2 B1", the light works, etc. However, the radio does not squelch using the side button, nor does it transmit.

I cannot read or write to the radio, as I receive the following error messages:
"Serial bus communication error. Could not acquire busy line" or "No response after Transmit. Turn radio off, then on to try again".

I am using an OEM Motorola rib-box and an aftermarket cable. I have used the rib and cable on several other Sabers without an issue, and I currently use it on another System Saber III without an issue. In viewing other posts, other people have pointed to the cable as being the issue, or the computer. However, since both items work with my other System Saber and previous Sabers, I felt I had effectively ruled that out.

Question: Did I buy a bum Saber? Or is it just finicky with my current programming set-up?
I have taken the radio apart and viewed the circuit board to the best of my abilities for any obvious missing parts. Nothing jumps out at me.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am not a tech by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I'm using RSS version R04.00.02.
I was told by someone else that the System Sabers don't care what version software you use.......that was news to me, but again, I'm not a tech.
akardam

Re: Programming System Saber III

Post by akardam »

Chances are it's the case itself. Swap cases with the known good Systems Saber III and see what happens.
medic2078

Post by medic2078 »

No luck with switching the cases. Still gives same response when attempting to read or write to the radio.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

are you completely sure its a Systems not a standard saber. I accidently tried that with a systems RSS on a Saber. It gave me a error also.
medic2078

Post by medic2078 »

Yeah, I had thought of that, thinking someone had already switched the cases. Standard Saber RSS gave me a different error message.

Well, if anyone has further ideas, keep em' coming, but I purchased another Systems Saber that is guaranteed to work. This one will probably be sold for parts.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

Here's a dumb question: Are you using a computer that's slow enough? I use a 286/10 for programming my SysSabers, and have had no problems at all with it. I use an aftermarket RIB and cables, but the gen-u-wine software.

I'll echo the Saber vs SysSaber question as well. Because the case size is the same, they could have put the "wrong" guts into the right case.

I, too, bought several of the SysSabers off FleaBay, and I'm batting about 50% so far. Two of the radios were VHF radios with UHF antennas stuck on them (DOH!) and another was rather beat up when I received it.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

I know on the sabers there is a small horseshow shaped clamp on the underside of the antenna connector. You would have to take out the guts of the radio to see it. It holds in the plunger for your accessory connectors/cables. If that piece is missing or broken there is no connection and the radio can't be read.

This has been awhile since I've done this but I think if you check between pin 7 and the collar of the antenna port you should read continuity. If you don't there is a good chance that clamp is your culprit.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. This is basically part of the chassis so changing the case won't help.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

All things being equal, the Systems Sabers have 16 channel controls top and the standard Sabers have 12...simple to distinguish between the two.

If you can't read/write to or from the radio...look into what encyption module was installed....the wrong modules will make the radio useless if it is not designed for use in a Systems Saber chassis.

Your best best is to install a bypass, then create a fresh codeplug with the proper band split, model number/s as well as frequency range.

The encryption modules for 'most' Systems Sabers should be smartnet capable as this radio does have trunked operation, as well as multi-key storage, so if a non-smartnet module was installed, it will create problems with the read/write functions of the radio.

Use an eraser on the accy. connectors to clean them and remove any potential oxidation that may have coated those connections...

Also check that the baseplate is firmly seated to the radio via the two spanner nuts...SIX INCH POUNDS ONLY!

The radio's frame has two rows of spring fingers to make contact with the case's contacts at the bottom...make sure those fingers are pretty much even, straight and clean.

Since you have active power up, ou don't have a fusing issue to deal with...that's good.

Check internal flex cables for the keypad and controls top...the keypad cable fits between the reference oscillator and the frame.
The controls top flex is just above the receiver module and is horizontal on the board...make sure that it is also seated firmly against the board, and that all screws that retain the modules are tight...TWO INCH POUNDS ONLY here.

The main synthesizer is retained by two of the rear cover screws, but the module should be seated firmly in its sockets nonetheless.

Sounds like you have the proper RSS for the radio...R04.00.02, which is the latest version.

Demilled Sabers are often corrupted to keep people from using the radio on military or government frequencies.
You'll probably have to create an entirely new codeplug before you can make use of the radio, and this means a complete alignment as well.

One number or bit of data out of order, the RSS will show errors before you are allowed to continue, so dot your 'Is' and cross your 'Ts' before you program...everything in its place first.

Get the radio tro TX and RX ona single channel first, then once that's complete, then you can populate the radio with as many channels as you require, as well as the options you want to.

Be forewarned though..if you decide to use Staus Messages and Alerting you will cause the radio to insert a PL tone on ALL channels, regardless if they were previously programmed as CSQ....This means ALL channels, RX and TX.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I almost forgot this one tidbit of information for you!

Check the REFERENCE OSCILLATOR!

Its orientation is critical to radio operation...they have pulled those and turned them around on people in the past...so the radio will NOT read or be written to if tis part has been turned around.

You only have TWo choices..try both.
dfc2

Post by dfc2 »

Did you get it figured out? i am having the same problem with a ss3

dfc2
N7QQU-Ken
What radios do you own?: Saber Series, XTS 3000

Post by N7QQU-Ken »

I have had this problem before. I found three different causes. One was that the government had de-mil'ed the radio by drilling a few holes in the main board. That made it a parts radio. Second cause was a serial port problem. Make sure you are running DOS from a DOS only PC that is as slow as you can get. Then make sure to power up the PC, RIB and radio in that order. Third cause was bad or mis-matched modules. Check that all the modules are from the same band split and are seated correctly.
If it is displaying Z1 A1 then it is programmed on some frequency other wise it would display **unprogrammed**. It is most likely the secomd or third cause listed above.
Good luck and keep us posted.

73 - Ken - N7QQU
My "shrink" says I am addicted to the following radios:
Saber, Saber R, Systems Saber, Astro Saber, Astro Saber R, XTS3000 R and all the accessories I can find.
http://www.n7qqu.net
SYNTORX71MAN
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

I ran into the same problem from six different Ebay System Saber 3's. I had to go into my computer set up and diable the bios caching setting.
After that the RSS ran 100%. Make sure you are using a SLOW OLD computer 286, 386.
When that rope tightens round your neck, You feel the Devil bite your @ss!!
williamh

Post by williamh »

i also have a sys saber that has the same problem .. but is a #1 , transmits,receives takes a key load.... but will not read/write , i have replaced the case with one that i know is good ... i haven't tired the contunity test between pin 7 and the collar of the antenna port, will try tomorrow and post ...
Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
williamh

Post by williamh »

that's weird ... on the radio i can read there is contunity between pin 7 and the ring .. but on the radio that wont read there is none ... i will pull the radio apart and check this.
misawatech wrote:I know on the sabers there is a small horseshow shaped clamp on the underside of the antenna connector. You would have to take out the guts of the radio to see it. It holds in the plunger for your accessory connectors/cables. If that piece is missing or broken there is no connection and the radio can't be read.

This has been awhile since I've done this but I think if you check between pin 7 and the collar of the antenna port you should read continuity. If you don't there is a good chance that clamp is your culprit.

Edit: Forgot to mention this. This is basically part of the chassis so changing the case won't help.
Rule #35
williamh

Post by williamh »

this was a easy fix , the screws on the back cover were loose at the top where the shield from the antenna ring connects to the main board
Rule #35

Return to “Radio Programming”