Problems using CPS with VISTA? Read this! Updated.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wavetar
Administrator

Problems using CPS with VISTA? Read this! Updated.

Post by wavetar »

There have been a number of threads about people trying to use CPS packages on Vista, and it not working. Motorola has issued a Field Service Bulletin about this, and it clearly states no CPS package can be expected to work...not only that but it can actually corrupt the OS to the point it needs to be reloaded!! Leave it to Motorola...anyway, future threads about this issue will be locked & pointed to this thread. The FSB reads as below:

FSB NUMBER: FSB10079
APC CODE: All APC’s
DATE: May 2007
EXPIRES: N/A
BULLETIN TYPE: Informational Only
SUBJECT: *IMPORTANT* Motorola Applications and Customer Programming Software (CPS) not specifically
designed for use with Windows VISTA™
MODELS AFFECTED:
Motorola Applications and Customer Programming Software (CPS) not specifically designed for use with Windows
VISTA
SYMPTOM:
Upgrading an existing computer to VISTA OS, which already has Motorola software installed, or installing Motorola
software on a machine running VISTA OS may cause various errors or corruption of the OS. In some situations, the
corruption has been serious enough to require re-imaging of the hard drive.
Applications Affected:
Current and prior versions of the following software programs may cause severe negative impacts.
ASTRO® 25 Portable CPS, ASTRO® 25 Mobile CPS, ASTRO® 25 Tuner, ASTRO® Saber & XTS 3000™
CPS, ASTRO® Spectra CPS, ASTRO® Tuner, MTS 2000™ CPS and Tuner, MCS 2000™ CPS and Tuner
applications.
Compatibility and interaction with current and prior releases of the following programs have not been verified.
CENTRACOM Gold Series™, MCC Series Dispatch Consoles, MOSCAD, Mobile Data Applications, and
various other applications used in Astro® SmartZone®, SMARTNET® and conventional communication
networks.
CAUSE:
Applications have not been designed or certified for use with VISTA OS.
RESOLUTION:
Do not attempt to install or use Motorola software applications on Windows VISTA unless the software’s System
Requirements specifically lists compatibility with Windows VISTA. This includes attempting to run software in OS
compatibility modes.
Please refer to the software’s documentation for Hardware and Software compatibility information.
SEVERITY RECOMMENDATION:
Low - Perform when system exhibits above symptoms
LABOR WARRANTY ALLOWANCE:
This is an informational only bulletin. No reference to labor warranty is implied, intended or authorized.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Problems using CPS with VISTA? Read this!

Post by wavetar »

As an update, I have successfully loaded both the Professional Series and Commercial Series CPS onto a Vista based Toshiba laptop. Both softwares ran perfectly, and were able to read/write the radios through a PCMCIA-to-serial card with no problems whatsoever.

I believe my key to being successful was to run the entire install in WinXP compatibility mode. Most times people install the program normally, then simply try to run the main executable in compatibility mode. By running the install itself in compatibility mode, all installed files (exe's, dll's, etc) have the OS report itself as WinXP, not just the main executable. Worked for me, at least!

To run the install in compatibility mode, navigate to the "setup.exe" file on the CD or wherever you have it. Right-click it & choose to run it as "Win XP SP2" under the compatibility tab. Then proceed with the install & you should be ok.

The above CPS packages weren't specifically mentioned in Motorola's FSB. I haven't tried installing the Astro/25/MCS/MTS packages they mention, so I don't know if this would work for them or not.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Re: Problems using CPS with VISTA? Read this! Updated.

Post by kb0nly »

Just a quick note on this, and not just affecting CPS.

I have found a lot of slightly older software originally designed for XP will work if you do two things...

1. DO NOT install to the program files directory, i don't know why but some software packages i installed a few months ago stressed to tell the installer to put them in a directory on the hard drive, in the root of the drive, other than the Program Files directory. Sounds stupid but it does make a difference.

2. As he mentioned above, install them using XP compatibility mode, and if it asks to overwrite any files tell it to Skip, Deny, Ignore, Cancel, whatever option is presented.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

ASTRO25 CPS 12.0 is out, which supports Vista.

We have successfully programmed XTS5000s via the USB cable under vista.

thank you momorola!
dick33

Post by dick33 »

Are you using a serial 2 usb adaptor with a serial prog. cable or just a stright usb prog. cable ?
trackside.comms
New User
What radios do you own?: MOTOTRBO, EX600xls, LOTS MORE

Post by trackside.comms »

The Latest Version of the MOTOTRBO (XPR) software should also be Vista Friendly .... Anyone started messing with them here yet?
The XPR that is .....
Davin Vesey
Trackside Sales/Service Rep.
Racing Radios, Inc
Mooresville, NC
Medic28944
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1550 XLS, Kenwood TK 3180

Post by Medic28944 »

I have the Pro Series on my Vista system and it reads and wirtes just fine. It will allow you to do eveyrthing EXCEPT create LTR trunking systems. I have 6.9.6 and am curious if there is any newer software. I have to use 6.4 on an old computer to program LTR.
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Both CPS V12 for XTS500 and V12 for XTL5000 state in the update sections of the software that they support Vista SP1. I have loaded and run both of them successfully in Vista. I believe that CPS 5.03.00 for XTS3000/Astro Saber also supports Vista.

However if you are loading these on a system that does not have serial com ports they most likely will not run. Upon startup you will get the File Not Found error. CPS looks for a comm port on bootup and when it does not find one it craps out. You will need to install a USB to Serial converter. Load the driver and plug the converter in before you launch CPS. CPS will then launch normally. I wish /\/\ would fix this.

Marshall
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

rc50won wrote:Both CPS V12 for XTS500 and V12 for XTL5000 state in the update sections of the software that they support Vista SP1. I have loaded and run both of them successfully in Vista. I believe that CPS 5.03.00 for XTS3000/Astro Saber also supports Vista.

However if you are loading these on a system that does not have serial com ports they most likely will not run. Upon startup you will get the File Not Found error. CPS looks for a comm port on bootup and when it does not find one it craps out. You will need to install a USB to Serial converter. Load the driver and plug the converter in before you launch CPS. CPS will then launch normally. I wish /\/\ would fix this.

Marshall
You are correct. This thread was started nearly a year ago & subsequent versions of Astro & Astro25 CPS have been updated to work on Vista. I should have thought to update the thread, thanks for doing it.

ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Does anyone know if the latest Windows CPS for Quantar (V 14) is compatible with Vista?
Bad_Karma
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM1250, HT1250, PRC-117

Post by Bad_Karma »

Okay, I had the "cannot create unknown radio component" error of course running a laptop with vista x64, and a Prolific chip usb to serial converter/programming cable.

After some days banging my head against the keyboard I got this working...

Download the newest driver for your usb to serial converter. Mine is from ebay, and uses the Prolific chip.
http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Download Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, which lets you run a virtual computer, within your computer. I obtained a copy of XP and installed it on a 10gb partition.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downlo ... fault.mspx

Install the driver via your main operating system, and do so IN XP COMPATIBILITY MODE! (Right click the install program, under the compatibility tab, click XP)

Start your Virtual PC (assuming you've already installed it as well as the secondary operating system of your choice... more on this later)

Under the Virtual PC settings, ensure that the (virtual) Comm port (1 or 2) corresponds to the port you have your radio interface cable configured as.

Install CPS in the Virtual PC. It thinks it's in XP (or the os of your choice), so it installs fine.

Reads and writes fine!

Drawbacks: memory and labor intensive
Benefits: you can run CPS in a Vista x64 pc! And it's ALL FREE!

Also, conceivably you could configure Virtual PC's with other operating systems to run other legacy programs that won't run in XP even!

I take no responsibility for everyone bricking their department's equipment, but I hope this helps.
Daniel
maansman
New User

Post by maansman »

I programmed my Astro with CPS r05.02.00 and did not have any issues on a Vista machine.....it worked perfectly. Of course, when doing the initial install setup, it told me that my operating system was not supported, however, I ran it in WinXP compatibility mode, and it installed fine.

-Mark
Andy2712
What radios do you own?: XTS2500 m3 VHF

Post by Andy2712 »

I know this is going to be a silly question, but has anyone started messing around with Windows 7?
Andy2712

Post by Andy2712 »

I have my Astro Portable software installed as recomended above, but I can't seem to get the USB driver for the radio to install. Any help or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Andy
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

When you say astro portable, do you mean astro 25 (ie xts1500/2500/5000 pr1500 or mt1500)? Or Astro (xts3000 and astro saber)?
Andy2712

Post by Andy2712 »

Sorry, its the Astro 25 (XTS2500)
japple650
New User

Post by japple650 »

Hey,
I'm using ASTRO 25 portable CPS and lately for some reason when I try to update the scan list as in taking off a channel or add a channel I will get a pop Up that say "ASTRO 25 portable has stopped working" the description only says that there was a problem and astro 25 has stop working. Then all i can do from there is hit the close program button. I'm using vist sp2 on a dell duo t7300 laptop. Any ideas????
VE9MP
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: FPP Railroad XTL9000 Cleancab

Post by VE9MP »

Andy2712 wrote:I know this is going to be a silly question, but has anyone started messing around with Windows 7?
I've had EXCELLENT luck with Windows 7, I'm even running 1225 series RSS on here!
-----Nick-----

"I can trip some repeaters in Maine, but I'm not getting any audio into it, is there some type of tone frequency I use? If so do you know what one is for Maine?" - The SMT Machine
tetrazocine
New User

Post by tetrazocine »

All,

Understand this topic is focussing on Windows Vista..... You may want to consider Windows 7 for a number of reasons, primarily:

1. You have the ability to run your executables under "compatibility" mode, this means that you can opt to run the .exe file as if it were Windows 98, XP, 2000, Vista etc.... very powerful and nice feature for compatibility.

2. Windows 7 requires a significantly smaller CPU, Disk and RAM footprint making it more efficient and responsive than Vista

BTW: I do not work for Microsoft :-) I would advise you do some testing with your CPS (maybe even RSS under 98 or XP compatibility mode) before investing on a license.

Biggest challenge is that many of the newer laptops do not have serial ports any more, not tried the USB to serial myself so can't comment on this.

Good luck.

NB.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

Got the new computer with Windows 7 installed the other day. Loaded up Astro 25 Portable Software and have it working perfect with Serial Cable on Com 1 but software does not see the USB Cable. And the computer did install the driver when hooking my XTS2500 to the computer via USB Cable. This is the RKN4105A Cable I am using.

Meaning, I can not select USB for Read/Write nor read/write to radio.

Weird thing is USB is available to Read/Write with Astro 25 Tuner but not on CPS, and read/write works perfect..

I already uninstalled and installed again with USB Cable/XTS2500 driver in the computer with no success.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

radio43
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get Windows 7 to properly install any Astro25 USB drivers?

I had no problems installing the CPS or getting it to run. When I plug in the cable/radio windows tries to install the drivers and fails. As mentioned above there is no option for USB only com-ports - none of which match up with the one Windows assigns to the radio in device manager.

I am using CPS 13 and have tried the XTS2500, XTS4000, and XTS5000 all with OEM USB cables.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Fuel4300 wrote:Has anyone been able to figure out how to get Windows 7 to properly install any Astro25 USB drivers?

I had no problems installing the CPS or getting it to run. When I plug in the cable/radio windows tries to install the drivers and fails. As mentioned above there is no option for USB only com-ports - none of which match up with the one Windows assigns to the radio in device manager.

I am using CPS 13 and have tried the XTS2500, XTS4000, and XTS5000 all with OEM USB cables.
Same trouble here with Windows 7 and APX 7000/7500 CPS. I've started a separate thread about it here: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89955
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Kc2bst
New User

Post by Kc2bst »

i have even used it on windows 7 no problem
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

Kc2bst wrote:i have even used it on windows 7 no problem
APX or Astro25 CPS?
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

This has been coming up a lot lately, so I feel like it is worth putting here:

Current versions of CPS applications WILL NOT run on Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) computers. There are also NO USB drivers for Motorola cables for 64-bit, so you will need some kind of 32-bit computer.

Virtualization will also work, provided you have a valid license for a 32-bit version of windows.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

Kc2bst
New User

Post by Kc2bst »

Fuel4300 wrote:
Kc2bst wrote:i have even used it on windows 7 no problem
APX or Astro25 CPS?

i have used cps for xpr part RVN5115L on Windows 7 64bit no problem
just need codeplug crack for it but the software is good
tbski
What radios do you own?: Harris, Kenwood, Motorola

Post by tbski »

Anyone in the know have any ideas when Moto will be addressing the issue, so we can use CPS with Windows 7?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Back to Windows XP....
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

why even bother with 7 now when 8 is out
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Anderegg

Post by Anderegg »

rc50won wrote:However if you are loading these on a system that does not have serial com ports they most likely will not run. Upon startup you will get the File Not Found error. CPS looks for a comm port on bootup and when it does not find one it craps out. You will need to install a USB to Serial converter. Load the driver and plug the converter in before you launch CPS. CPS will then launch normally. I wish /\/\ would fix this.

Marshall
Thank you for posting this! I could never get CPS to run on any of my new computers, thought they were too fast or something. The USB to serial adapter doesn't work for programming a radio, but apparently you need to have it plugged in just to run the dumb program!

Paul

Return to “Radio Programming”