[DIY] Build your own RIB for TETRA radios (MTP700 & similar)

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sq5ag

[DIY] Build your own RIB for TETRA radios (MTP700 & similar)

Post by sq5ag »

Hi all!

Some time ago I got a MTP700 and wanted to program it, but the cost of the programming cable was a little bit too high, and even worse, the cable was hard to obtain for an individual (because of some weird Motorola's commercial practices in my country :x ). So we decided with a few friends to investigate and make our own RIB for that radio. The result is a simple, yet fully working programming interface than will be sufficient for most Motorola geeks :D
I even managed to flash firmware in my MTP700 with that construction!

I opened this topic to share the informations I have. I hope you'll find it useful! This RIB was tested on MTP700, but should work as well with other TETRA radios from Motorola, requiring FLN9636 (portable) or GMKN4067 (mobile) cables.

Here's the schematics of the RIB:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8864 ... bladc4.gif

And here's the bottom connector of the MTP700 (Pin 1 on the left, Pin
14 on the right):
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/397/pa160054tw5.jpg

There are only 3 lines used for programming these radios: GND, RXD and TXD.

GND goes to Pin 1 on the radio
DATA IN goes to Pin 2 on the radio
DATA OUT goes to Pin 3 on the radio

Then you have to apply 5 - 12V to the RIB (between the "VI" pin of
the 78L05 and the ground). I have done all my programming with about 7.2V and it worked fine.

Don't forget to put the radio in programming mode (keys 1 and 9 both pressed during power-up)!

The radio can be also put in programming mode by applying +12V on the "FLASH" pin of the connector.

Have fun! :)
pe2cvf
New User

Re: [DIY] Build your own RIB for TETRA radios (MTP700 & simi

Post by pe2cvf »

I'm looking for the schematic of the rib. Imageshack doesn't work anymore. Only got the add...
I have got the service manual with the pinout of the radio.

who can help?

Return to “Radio Programming”