Another Odd Question for the Group PP1000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mhodgson

Another Odd Question for the Group PP1000

Post by mhodgson »

I am about to do battle with Sprint/Nextel over my replacement radios in the FRA and have a point of contention that I cant even get Motorola to back me up on...and looking for some confirmation from ANYONE on this one....lol

I have three Motorola PP1000 radios (least that is what I have always called them) that look basically like a Maratrac with the exception of the interface connectors which instead looks like the old Motorola cell phones....nice chrome handset, hang up cup, speaker...work like a champ....NOW for the contention....what I have are SMARTZONE radios...analog but SZ...Motorola says, no way...Privacy Plus yes, and Maybe Smartnet, BUT NOOOO, never SZ...I'm like...they are here and they work AND unlike other Maxtrac based products, THESE do 821 NPSPAC channels....

Is there anyone out there that has any of these??

Thanks

Mike
d119

Re: Another Odd Question for the Group PP1000

Post by d119 »

The PP in PP1000 stands for Privacy Plus.

It's highly likely they are just Privacy Plus radios programmed onto your SmartZone system but they do not roam, they see the system as if it were Privacy Plus or SmartNET.

Read them - I think you'll find they're programmed this way, and truly are not SmartZone.
mhodgson

Post by mhodgson »

Actually, they are PP2000 units and were made by Motorola in Privacy Plus, Smartnet and SmartZone configurations....I was determined not to be shucked by SN so went to the archives...deep in my office and was able to find my sales brochures from 1997....LOL..sure enough Motorola did make em....interesting issue is that Motorola shows on the Slick that all three end at 821/866...I have one Privacy Plus, One Smartnet and three of the SZ units so for G&Gs tonite i hooked them all up and only the three SZ units will accept an out of band channel, ie: 822/867 or 823/868....so NOW, I guess my question for the group is...does anyone have any PP2000 SZ, where they too have been using them on NPSPAC spectrum.

Mike
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Those radios were SOFTWARE PROGRAMMED??? :o Color me dumbfounded.. I saw one years back, looked at the robbed-from-the-Mitrek-line drawer, and automatically assumed they were PROM-programmed with the suitcase.

I'm sure it's long since been discontinued, but do you happen to have the RVN number?

And I don't guess you also happen to know what software package programed the CoveragePLUS Maxtracs that were full-duplex and also used the car phone-style control head? Maxtrac Trunked Lab won't touch them.. but it will touch the ones that look like normal Maxtracs, and they do take and operate on 821 channels.

Return to “Radio Programming”