CDM1250 EEPRM CS ERROR

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

CDM1250 EEPRM CS ERROR

Post by n1gtl »

While reprogramming my CDM1250 I managed to brick it. It wrote about 95% when it beeped twice and the display now reads CDM1250 EEPRM CS ERROR. I searched to the ends of the Internet (well, Google anyway) and have tried reprogramming with a saved codeplug with no luck. I tried a firmware update but cannot get it into bootstrap mode. I have managed to recover HT1250's by starting with a good radio and then swapping when the battery gets removed.

Anyone out there have any tricks?

I have a feeling that my CDM is about to get a vacation to Mexirola.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: CDM1250 EEPRM CS ERROR

Post by Mfire39 »

Do a search on this site.. There are probably at least 10 posts related to the same problem you have..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

Mfire39 wrote:Do a search on this site.. There are probably at least 10 posts related to the same problem you have..
I did, thanks. If you know of a post that solves it, besides ones that say keep trying to program it, please feel free to post a link. Nothing I have found has worked.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

If multiple reprograms (I've seen it take up to 22 tries personally) and firmware ups don't work, then unfortunately it's got to go to the depot. Hopefully it's still under warranty, flat rate on pro series is a bit pricey.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

just keep trying to write to it. use a different machine if you have to, try a different rib, i've tried for days before and out of over 50 there has only been 2 or 3 that havn't come back to life. and with your saved codeplug alter it a bit and take it down to just one channel and bare minimum on everything so if it does write it will go fast. just resave the minimum codeplug again under a new name.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

HLA wrote:just keep trying to write to it.....
When I try to program the radio I get:

ERROR 4
ERROR READING THE RADIO

I click OK and the same message appears again. I click OK again and I get the error message:

THIS DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS APPLICATION.

The display just sits there reading EEPRM CS ERROR.

I did take my original codeplug and remove all but one channel. No scan lists. Am I supposed to try cycling the power of the radio between every attempt? CPS version is 06.10.04. I think the firmware in the radio was 05.07.02 before the explosion.

EDIT: In addition, when I try to read the radio, I get the message: IMAGE IS CORRUPTED. CHECKSUM FOR R/W REGION FAILED.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

n1gtl wrote:THIS DEVICE IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS APPLICATION.
This is the new generic error message that CPS spews whenever something goes wrong. It has replaced the "codeplug too new" message as well. Obviously the monkeys writing the software don't have it documented very well, it was introduced in 6.10.02 and still has not been corrected
john9912
New User

Post by john9912 »

Some tips to avoid and recover from this type of problem in the future...

Read ALL of your Waris series radios with Global tuner and save the soft pot settings for each radio. If you blank the radio info, you can set the tuning info back to the way it was before the EEPROM Check Sum error without having to take it to a shop to have it retuned.

Read codeplug, SAVE it immediately after reading. DO NOT modify the saved version. Make your changes on the PC. Write the codeplug to the radio. If the codeplug writes to the radio successfully, only then overwrite the saved version. It is sometimes possible to program the last good codeplug back into the radio after EEPROM Check Sum error.

Use genuine Motorola brand ribless cable plugged into the rear 20 pin connector of the radio. It is more expensive but can save headaches later on.

Just curious... What type of cable / rib were you using? Generic brand? Genuine Motorola OEM brand? rib or ribless? plugs into mic jack or plugged into 20 pin rear connector? Is the radio remote mount or dash mount?

John L.
Sparta, NJ
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

john9912 wrote:Just curious... What type of cable / rib were you using? Generic brand? Genuine Motorola OEM brand? rib or ribless? plugs into mic jack or plugged into 20 pin rear connector? Is the radio remote mount or dash mount?
Well, dummy me used an aftermarket instead of a true /\/\ rib. I also used a USB-DB9 adapter. I have used this set up in the past and it worked without an issue. Being that I have a computer with a DB-9 and a real /\/\ rib, I don't know why I didn't just use those. I used the mic jack to fry the radio. It is installed in a Havis Shields console so using the 20 pin on the rear would have meant taking the radio out. In hindsight........... oh well.
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

The fix of a Waris checksum error is not a real problem if you,ve saved the tuning data.
I have some hints ,to fix it, on my homepage (german text only).

Andreas
HLA

Post by HLA »

just when you think of all the money you save yourself by getting that $20 adaptor, USB strikes again. I hope at least that radio was your personal radio and not a public service departments radio. if you want to try and get it back working you need to at least get a real rib and the right cable
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

The radio has been unbricked. Thanks to all those who helped in PM's.
Obvious
New User

Post by Obvious »

I am curious as to how you got your radio fixed. Any chance you could PM me or put in this thread on what you did.
ski7669

Post by ski7669 »

n1gtl wrote:The radio has been unbricked. Thanks to all those who helped in PM's.
Please post specifics on what you did, so others with the same problem can fix.

Thanks!
jwb8734
What radios do you own?: To many Motorola and Vertex

Post by jwb8734 »

I had this issue on my HT1250. I used a Moto Ribless cable and wrote a last working codeplug for that radio.
contrak10

Post by contrak10 »

Im having the same problem. Im trying to save my friends butt because he used a USB ribless cable to program a VHF 1550-LS.

I have a rib cable connected to a old windows 98 computer using version 6.9.06

Im getting 2 sets " ERROR 4 Error reading radio"

Followed by "This device is not supported by this application"

Its got the classic EEPRM CD ERROR on the radio.

Anyone who can help me PM me. In return ill make a guide for those who keep having this problem and are getting tired for searching endless threads.

Thanks guys.
HLA

Post by HLA »

you won't be able to read the radio, you will have to open an old saved codeplug and keep trying to write it to the radio
HLA
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

This issue has been discussed in detail here time and time again. You can use the search function, or better yet use google advanced search
contrak10 wrote:Im having the same problem. Im trying to save my friends butt because he used a USB ribless cable to program a VHF 1550-LS.

I have a rib cable connected to a old windows 98 computer using version 6.9.06

Im getting 2 sets " ERROR 4 Error reading radio"

Followed by "This device is not supported by this application"

Its got the classic EEPRM CD ERROR on the radio.

Anyone who can help me PM me. In return ill make a guide for those who keep having this problem and are getting tired for searching endless threads.

Thanks guys.

Return to “Radio Programming”