X9000 lowband programming issue

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radiocat37

X9000 lowband programming issue

Post by radiocat37 »

I have done some past post searches and have not found one that matches my issue. I have a good working X9000 lowband, 32 mode and 2K eeproms. Radio works fine, but goes into a fail 01-90 when i plug in the programming cable. cable is aftermarket, (Rib is factory) but i checked all of the pinouts and connections for continuity and all checks out. What next???

Mike
Brian Griffin: Ah, if my memory serves me, this is the physics department.
Chris Griffin: That would explain all the gravity.

Lois: Peter, you're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted because I've been up all night drinking.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Re: X9000 lowband programming issue

Post by kf4sqb »

Have you used the RIB on any other radios? Have you used the X9000 programming cable on any other X9000's? 01/90 means that the control head's microprocessor can't communicate with the radio's microprocessor. Have you checked for missing/bent/broken pins/contact sockets in the programming cable? Is it made with a "T" cable, like the factory cable, or some other way? Off hand, I'd have to say that either the programming cable is interrupting the data bus (bent/broken/missing pin or contact socket), or the cable has a short somewhere in it, which is "sinking" the data bus, or the RIB has a problem, and is "sinking" the data bus. Also, keep in mind when considering the RIB that the X9000 is the only radio (that I'm aware of) that actually uses 100% of the RIB's circuitry. It will very likely program most, or all, other radios, but not the X9000. You'll really need to check it out on another X9000.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

Actually, FAIL 01/90 also indicates that there is no voltage on the big red A lead to the radio.

Take some time, figure out how the programming cable connects to the radio and go into the control plug at the radio and build yourself a programming cable into that connector.

I had to do this on a van where the radio is hidden behind an interior panel.

REMEMBER: The radio goes into the programming mode by SHORTING THE MICROPHONE LEADS.

While you're at it you ought to think about upgrading the radio to 64 modes. All you need to do is change an EEPROM and move a jumper.

Maybe even 128 modes? Last I checked Motorola still sold the firmware prom to do that mod but you will need different RSS.

FY
I have a Halcyon TIMS. It has an audio spectrum analyzer.
I have an IFR 1200. It has an audio distortion analyzer.
I can test and alter the audio response and distortion of my analog radio system to make it sound better.
I have a pair of socks.
Why would I want to put them in my mouth just so I could sound like I'm using a DMR radio?
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

TWEMARS wrote:Actually, FAIL 01/90 also indicates that there is no voltage on the big red A lead to the radio.

That would kind of preclude the control head's processor talking to the radio's processor, now wouldn't it? FAIL 01/90 means, per the service manual, "serial bus failure".
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

TWEMARS wrote:Actually, FAIL 01/90 also indicates that there is no voltage on the big red A lead to the radio.
Actually, FAIL 01/90 indicates that the control head has booted up but is unable to communicate with the radio. This could be a lack of A+ to the deck, a cable unplugged or failed, some internal failure in either the head or the radio, who knows.
TWEMARS wrote:Take some time, figure out how the programming cable connects to the radio and go into the control plug at the radio and build yourself a programming cable into that connector.
And if he's got an aftermarket RIB or a malfunctioning Moto RIB, it STILL won't work. The proper way is to program the radio with a genuine Motorola RIB and a genuine Motorola T-cable combined with a steam-powered laptop - that's what I use.

I've even seen flaky computers cause the X9K to exhibit such behavior - it's an extremely finicky radio. I'm betting bad cable or failing RIB.

Return to “Radio Programming”