Spectra Problems.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

parkst88
New User

Spectra Problems.

Post by parkst88 »

Hello all,

I work at a radio maintenance shop, and there is a Motorola Mobile in particular we're having problems with. It has just the remote head in the truck (a firetruck) and the actual radio is behind the driver seat. I haven't had a chance to look up the model, however the remote head looks like a Spectra W4 (from here). At first we didn't have the cables to read the programming on it, then when we found a compatible one laying around the shop and now get an error saying something about "Model not supported" or some message related.

Right now the radio is throwing two errors, an "8/10" error (apparently something regarding a siren), and a "KEY FAIL" error. I know the shop didn't program encryption on it in the first place, but now we can't even read/write it to turn encryption off.

Any ideas?

PS: It may possibly be an XTL-5000 HP, or Spectra A9 model (I'll get back on that one).

Currently we only have Astro CPS 12.00.00, would it help to upgrade to 13.00.01? Some of the more experienced I know say it wouldn't make a difference.
txshooter

Re: Spectra Problems.

Post by txshooter »

parkst88 wrote:Hello all,

I work at a radio maintenance shop, and there is a Motorola Mobile in particular we're having problems with. It has just the remote head in the truck (a firetruck) and the actual radio is behind the driver seat. I haven't had a chance to look up the model, however the remote head looks like a Spectra W4 (from here). At first we didn't have the cables to read the programming on it, then when we found a compatible one laying around the shop and now get an error saying something about "Model not supported" or some message related.

Right now the radio is throwing two errors, an "8/10" error (apparently something regarding a siren), and a "KEY FAIL" error. I know the shop didn't program encryption on it in the first place, but now we can't even read/write it to turn encryption off.

Any ideas?

PS: It may possibly be an XTL-5000 HP, or Spectra A9 model (I'll get back on that one).

Currently we only have Astro CPS 12.00.00, would it help to upgrade to 13.00.01? Some of the more experienced I know say it wouldn't make a difference.
Model not supported means you do not have the proper RSS / CPS to rear or write to the radio. There are huge differences between XTL-5000's, Astro Spectra's, or plain jain older Spectra's.

The absolute first thing you need to do is determine what kind of radio you are working with and start from there!
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."

Return to “Radio Programming”