Programming XTL5K with O3 HHCH

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pluto1914
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few APXs

Programming XTL5K with O3 HHCH

Post by pluto1914 »

I have an OEM USB programming cable for the XTL5000 which works great with the O5 control head.

How do I use it with the O3 handheld control head? I cannot plug it into the transceiver CGAI as it says NO USB on the display screen. Do I have to plug it into the extension cable for the HHCH? (Which I would like to add is conviently hidden in a center console :x )

Thanks!!

David
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Re: Programming XTL5K with O3 HHCH

Post by Code3 »

You will not be able to use the CGAI USB programming cable with that setup. You will need to switch to Serial CGAI, or utilise the rear accessory connector Serial/USB programming/data cable.
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

Code3 wrote:You will not be able to use the CGAI USB programming cable with that setup. You will need to switch to Serial CGAI, or utilise the rear accessory connector Serial/USB programming/data cable.
Well isn't that nice...

No way around that? It was nice to just have one programming cable that was convient to use.

David
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

pluto1914 wrote:
Code3 wrote:You will not be able to use the CGAI USB programming cable with that setup. You will need to switch to Serial CGAI, or utilise the rear accessory connector Serial/USB programming/data cable.
Well isn't that nice...

No way around that? It was nice to just have one programming cable that was convient to use.

David
One cable for one style of radio,03 is a different style, i.e.=different cable. Besides, it's not like they are expensive.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Have you tried putting power to the back of the radio and using the USB GCAI connector on the front without the O3?

I will suspect that it works...

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

I'll take a stab at it on Monday and let you know! Thanks again!

David
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

I tried un plugging the O3 control head and I still couldn't read the radio. I tried unplugging the 25 pin accessory cable and I still couldn't read the radio.

Any other thoughts?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Mid power radio? Sorry, no USB through the TIB for you. USB through the 26 pin on the back or RS232 through the TIB on the front. If you have your heart set on using the USB cable you can get a remote mount O5 head and read it through the mic jack...
pluto1914
Batboard $upporter

Post by pluto1914 »

I wound up pulling the radio out of the trunk and connecting it up in a car that has an O5 control head. Not the preferred method of course, but it worked. In the mean time I will be looking for the correct programming cable.

Thanks.

David
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

There's a check box in CPS that will allow the radio to power on without any head connected - just with 12V applied to ignition sense via the rear connector. Handy to have when you're fiddling around with control heads.

Get a USB-to-rear cable - it works with damn near any configuration except for 110W radios.
akardam

Post by akardam »

motorola_otaku wrote:There's a check box in CPS that will allow the radio to power on without any head connected - just with 12V applied to ignition sense via the rear connector. Handy to have when you're fiddling around with control heads.
I think what you're thinking about is the checkbox that applied only when a radio is configured for more than one control head - at least, that's what the CPS help file says. Either way, at some point in the development of the XTL line, they made it so that the brick will power on when power is applied to the main power connector, even if nothing else is attached to the radio (though I'm not sure if this holds true if ignition sense is required for radio powerup). We've used this several times in the field to deal with radios that had a severe detachment from their control heads that syncing just didn't work on.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Well, I was fiddling around with a 2005-vintage radio with R04 firmware yesterday trying to get an O5 head to work on it (associated whinge forthcoming) and it powered on with no head attached - BUT only when 12V was applied to ignition sense. And that box was checked. So it's something to look out for in older-firmware radios, at least.

Return to “Radio Programming”