XTS2500 CPS Programming with FPP

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tim

XTS2500 CPS Programming with FPP

Post by Tim »

Hi Folks,

Just got an XTS2500i that has FPP enabled, and I'm seeing some funny things trying to program various
zones & stuff.

I'm using version 14 (just got 15, but haven't installed it yet).

It has 19 conventional personalities that cannot be deleted (no RED X is present).

However, I can add personalities, and delete the ones I added.

I can delete all zones with the exception of 1, and the FPP protection block which is checked cannot
be 'unchecked'. (gives me the eyeglasses icon).

Also, I cannot drag N drop from another codeplug running in another window.

If I do a highlight of an entire column in the 'master' channel list and 'copy', then highlight the same column
in the second radios window, doing a paste, it does it, but if I then go to a different zone and back, the data is gone.
I can manually change the data (i.e. Channel name, etc)

One more interesting thing is that when I try to change the personality number while in the zone/channel field, I
can only change it to one of the new personalities that I entered. All personalities are shown, but can only change
to the newly added ones.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Flashcode is 161001-100304-0

Current feature set:
Q811 P25 Digital Conventional
H869 Multikey
Q52 - Fed Govt FPP Enhancement
H43 - Trnkd Radio Trace/Remote monitor
G857 - FDNY Emerg RX/TX tone set
Q387 - Conventional Voting Scan
Q53 - FCC Conv FPP and Radio Cloning
Q667 - ADP Encrypt Software DSP based only.
Tim

Re: XTS2500 CPS Programming with FPP

Post by Tim »

Think I got it figured out.

The Firmware requires 15 zones with 16 channels per zone for a total of 240 channels.
Each channel must have it's own separate personality. (found out when I modified
things to something 'normal' & tried to write the radio)

Man, this sure makes it a pain in the butt to program. Not only have to enter all the frequency
data, but gotta enter the personality for each channel too.

UGH!

Tim
HX6
New User

Post by HX6 »

I use the first zone for FPP and all my other zones are normal type so I use the CPS to program them.
It works out better for me because I don't have a personality for each channel just 16 for FPP plus one for each differant type of channel I need.
16 FPP channels is all I needed for programming or testing on the fly.

Dave
Dave HX6
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Dave,

Maybe I'm missing something. I have enough data for about 4 zones, and the rest is
'wasted'. However, I must have a separate personality for each channel.

When I downloaded the codeplug for the 1st time (to save), it had 240 personalities,
15 zones, and 16 channels per zone.

When I tried to reduce these, it would not let me save the file, or program the radio -
it gave me an error which told me that I HAD to do the 240 personalities, 15 zones &
16 channels per zone.

So I guess I'm kinda stuck.

Maybe it's some option in the flash that's causing it to act this way.

I'd sure like to know if I'm doing something wrong!!

Thanks,

Tim
akardam

Post by akardam »

What is the host version?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Sorry, don't know what you mean by host version.
HX6
New User

Post by HX6 »

Tim, if you use FFP the radio has to open 16 channels in the first zone and they will be empty until you put some info in them. Then using the CPS software you can add more zones just make them normal zones not FPP type (I would have to open my code plug see How Motorola named normal zones). In a normal zone you can add 1 to 200+ channels but if this is portable most people keep them at 16 or less (I have a couple of zones with more and I use the channel button in the menu to get to them).
Motorola requires any FPP zones to be first the the zone line up so if want more than 16 FPP channels you have to have two zones and they have to the first two in your list.
When I first set my radio up I had all 250 channels FPP type thinking it would be nice to make changes at a site or on the fly but having 250 personalitys sucked. I now have one FPP zone, 14 normal zones and only about 30 personalities if I need to make a change I just do it in the first zone.
Dave HX6
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Dave,

That's the way I figured it would work also, but not so with this beast.

With our existing group of XTS2500's (non FPP), I have about 30 channels in a particular
zone, so it'll be easier to get to another channel via the CHAN menu item.

But, with this FPP radio, if I put more than 16 channels in a zone, I get the
following message when trying to write to the radio:

This archive cannot be written to this radio.

The firmware version in this radio requires 15 zones, 16 channels per zone, and
240 conventional personalities. Each channel must sequentially point to a
unique personality. Please modify this archive or refresh the firmware in the radio
via FLASHport.

So, it looks like I'm kinda stuck with it!

Tim

Return to “Radio Programming”