CDM Programing Cable Question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rydzewski

CDM Programing Cable Question

Post by rydzewski »

I'm going over the schematics to build this cable..

http://batlabs.com/images/rkn4083.gif

I saw that you need a flash adapter to update the firmware. My question is, Can I just add a Switch to my cable (linked above) to connect DB-25 pin 1 to pin 25?
Al

Re: CDM Programing Cable Question

Post by Al »

Sure, you can.
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

Thank You
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

Ok... Now im lost...

Here is the cable I made... following the batlabs diagram and removing the test set part.

DB 25 20pin on radio

1--------------------7
4---| -connected pin 4-11 on db25
11--|
12------------------13
15------------------17
25------------------18

I also installed a switch that connects db 25 pin 1-25. When I try to read the radio from the accessory port it shows data on the rib, then tells me to check the connections. If i try my mic programing cable it works fine...I'm trying to flash my radio with a built in switch for the cable.. any insight would be appreciated

Thank you.

- Ben
Al

Post by Al »

If you're trying to upgrade the firmware:
1. Switch on your cable to off position
2. Start firmware upgrade kit software
3. Set switch to on on your cable, reset power as instructed on CDM
4. Click 'OK' on popup window to start reflash

At which step above are you encountering trouble?
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

my issue is the cable wont even read the radio... i cant open it in cps, or the firmware tool.
Al

Post by Al »

I just checked the pinout that you listed against my AARKN4083 cable, and your information is correct, Ben. Remember, the connector on the rear of the CDM is 20 pin...pins 1 & 20 are adjacent to 1 & 2. If you're using a 16 pin connector to plug into the rear of the CDM, you have to make adjustments to account for the listed pinout vs. actual pin numbering on your cable's connector.
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

Maybe it's the pins on the back.... I have a 20-pin connector i got off eBay. on it it says 2 10 20 on the top of the connector.. so i went from left to right counting up.. so bottom left is 1, upper left is 2, then lower 3 upper 4 and so on.... is this correct... if not then there's the problem!
Al

Post by Al »

Viewed from the front(pin end) of your connector with the locking tab at the top, M labels the pins as: 19, 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17 on the top row. Bottom row is: 20, 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 left to right viewed from the pin end.
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

yeah i saw that online. i tried that as well. i think i might just go buy the cable tomorrow and make life easier. thanks for all your help.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

what's your email address, i'll send you a diagram and picture of a working adaptor, there's one jumper missing in what's listed
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
rydzewski

Post by rydzewski »

Return to “Radio Programming”