VRM-650 and VRM-850 data radio programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radionut54
New User

VRM-650 and VRM-850 data radio programming

Post by Radionut54 »

I have heard that the VRM-650 radio is similar to an MCS2000 and that the software for that radio is the MCS2000 RSS. Can anyone confirm that and if not, what software accesses a VRM-650 radio?
I have also heard that the VRM-850 radio is similar to an astro radio. Again, I need to know if this is true and what software will access the VRM-850 radio.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Phil
xmo

Re: VRM-650 and VRM-850 data radio programming

Post by xmo »

If you need to program one of these for its intended use as a radio modem on a data network [e.g. RD-LAP], you don't need to program the radio itself; you program the VRM with a program called WINRSS.

On the other hand, if you want to re-task the radio part of the VRM, you can do that with the standard MCS2000 CPS [or if the unit is old enough, you can use the old RSS]

You can un-check the VRM checkbox and program whatever you want in there. That way you can use the transceiver part of the VRM as a one channel radio. When you do that, the modem head will get upset and flash its lights, but you can igrore that or just take it off of the radio.

If you can find an MCS head, you can put that on and it should work fine.

These things are showing up surplus dirt cheap. I got a UHF one off ebay for $35 [including shipping]

So basically - for next to nothing - you can use one of these VRM's as a narrow-band capable radio or link .
Radionut54
New User

Post by Radionut54 »

Incredible. Thank you. Now all I need to find is WinRSS.

I've tried reading the radio with MCS2000, but it doesn't seem to connect. Do I need a special cable?

Again, Thanks

Phil ..
xmo

Post by xmo »

WINRSS connects through the RS-232 port on the front of the VRM.

MCS CPS connects using a RIB and the programming cable that connects to the 25 pin accessory connector.
Radionut54
New User

Post by Radionut54 »

One more question.

The AUX connector on the VRM-650 and VRM-850 is a DB9M. Is there any schematic available for the DB25 (RIB) to the DB9 (AUX) connector on the modem?

Thanks Again
Phil
xmo

Post by xmo »

For WINRSS programming, use a standard 9 pin serial cable from the PC to the DTE [top] connector on the front of the VRM - no RIB is needed.
Radionut54
New User

Post by Radionut54 »

Thanks, I did understand that. It appears to me that to adjust any of the radio parameters using MCS2000, one needs to connect to the AUX port and that requires a RIB and the cable from the RIB box to the radio. That's the cable schematic I'm after.

Again, thanks for your patience and help.

Phil ...
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

No, the aux port is for a gps or other device. The radio is programmed by the db25 connector on the bottom of the radio, you have to remove the plug that's screwed in there and attached to the vrm front, then you can use a mcs2000 service cable to program the radio.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

xmo wrote:So basically - for next to nothing - you can use one of these VRM's as a narrow-band capable radio or link .
You have my full attention, sir.

Is the 25-pin accessory connector pin-out the same as a normal MCS radio? If so the car radio mute line will work for an active-high COR and the rest of the signals for interfacing are already there.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

It is a MCS2000. It just has a vrm slapped on the front instead of a control head. As far as I know all you need to do is uncheck the vrm box in the cps and program it as needed.

Return to “Radio Programming”