Nucleus programming.

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Nucleus programming.

Post by PETNRDX »

I have a recently acquired 300 watt Nuc that I need to try to program.
Have searched around and read thru the R-B Nuc article, but the little that was there regarding programming keystrokes yielded nothing.
The display shows the kinds of things I would expect while initializing.
I get READY on the display and depending on what key I hit next, it will allow me to scroll thru a few readings.
But nothing I try when I get a selection displayed will let me change it.
Anybody know the exact set of strokes to get to freq change and how to enter it?
The VERY first display on power up is freq change is enabled, then INIT then EX BOARDLOADING.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Re: Nucleus programming.

Post by PETNRDX »

By taking the keyboard in the controller apart, and cleaning it, I now have changed the freq to what I want.
It appears that the ENT key is a bit flaky. Probably not the keypad, but the in the circuit somewhere.
Anyone have any info at all on these old things?
Would really help to know what is read only, vs. what can be changed in the menus.
And what some of the obscure references mean.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Found a pdf of a manual that is for older firmware,
but it helped enough that I have most of it figured out.
Steve K.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

There was a Nucleus and a Nucleus-II (Nucleus-TWO). Close but different enough that they had their own manuals. The manual isn't nearly as helpful as you'd want it to be. I think there's a laminated sheet that depicts the menu system but I don't recall if it tells you what's editable and what's not. Best way is to just cycle through things and try to change them. If they won't allow you to enter a value or up/dn a setting, then it's not changeable.

The manuals have "quick reference" pages and certain items are marked "(read-only)". I've scanned and posted those pages.

Bob M.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Have not been able to find those new files yet.
I will keep looking.
This is looking really promising.
I am getting "summed" VF and PL audio thru, but the PTT is not working the way I need.
I think there are station settings that I need to get set correctly.
It wants to come up keyed after a RESET, in the DIS menu it shows PAGING KEYED and I don't have anything keyed.
What I have been able to do is go to the SERV mode, scroll to KEY ON SYMBOL (with carrier selected) and key it to pass the audio.
Is there any way to defeat the blinking STATUS and the C-NET on LEDs?
The other "fault" indicators go out when settings are right.
Steve K.
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

Steve,
Let me dig around in my storage Sunday I think I've got a couple manuals on the nucleus. No promises or guarantees
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Somewhere there's a way to set the EXT PTT input to be active-high or active-low, but there could be some other setting that's giving it grief. Perhaps you need to do a general reset of the parameters back to factory default. I think one of the DIP switches will accomplish that, which includes resetting the password and of course all the programming information.

I think a couple of LEDs will continue to blink unless you've got the proper communications protocol for paging messages actively talking to the station. As long as all the other "fault" LEDs are off, you should be good to go.

I don't have mine where I can get to it to experiment; it's up at the repeater site.

By the way, do you have a NUCLEUS or a NUCLEUS II ? It should say which on the front panel of the 300w PA; I don't know where it might be on a 100w station though.

Bob M.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Been away on other projects for a couple days.
The labeling on the front of the PA is all scuffed off.
My best guess is that its a plain Nuc, 250 w max model.
Have it keying properly now.
If I sum the PL and VF externally it works great.
Somewhere I have a couple Quantar 900 receivers of the type that were in an external "tray" mounted horizontally, with two in the tray.
Anyone know if the Quantar RX is the one that should plug into the Nuc?
If not, my plan is to use the Quantar RX into a Zetron controller ( for setup/knock down and ID) then to the Nuc.
Got a Wacom WP-6943-SP 8 cavity pass duplexer with it. HEAVY, square cavities. Looks to be 300 watt capable.
Tests out properly to work for this. Certainly should behave at maybe 150 watts.
Steve K.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

That model is rated at 300 watts according to my old cross reference.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

There should be a model number on a sticker inside on the metal plate that covers the backplane. Starts with a "T" and has 4 digits after it. Hopefully you can find that number in the Nuc or Nuc-2 installation manuals.

Bob M.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

T 5482 c.
Steve K.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”