GTX hex editing

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RidgeRunner

GTX hex editing

Post by RidgeRunner »

Well got my GTX's in the ham band, I got the aligned as best as possible. Problem is that it could be better if I had software pot adjustment points that covered the ham band. Now I am no wizard at hex editing and am not even sure to start unless I use the excellent batlabs instructions. Problem is my GTX makes 6 watts at 902 and 12 or so at 927, I would also like to fine tune the dev a little better.

So I am wondering if anyone has attempted in looking into this or even has done it.
kb2now

GTX hex editing

Post by kb2now »

It's really tricky to get the GTXs balanced for 902/927 but it's doable with some patience. Forget the test freqs, just program some channels and use those (harder to do with the portables). A pain to connect and disconnect every time but once you do a few you'll get the hang of it.
Easier than modifying 900 maxtracs anyway.
I thought I had some numbers written down that worked or were close on every GTX I did (so far about 12 portables and 8 mobiles) but of course I can't find it now. If you get it right, 10-12W 902/927 is average. You're supposed to be able to get 15W. The deviation is also tricky and remember to compensate for pl on your service monitor or just turn it off. That and the balancing can really screw you up together.

I know where the band limits are in the Mdf file but I have no idea where to find the softpot freqs. Are they in the codeplug or the Mdf file anyway? Probably the Mdf. Thats a good question for other radios too...It would be cool to edit the test freqs on maxtracs and gp300s, etc.
Been trying to figure out how to add more channels than 10, these are very similar to the maxtrac and also how to get rid of the 1 damn trunk channel they force you to have programmed in but no luck.

I have the service manuals somewhere, there is some info in there too.
kd6kml

More channels and dumping the trunking

Post by kd6kml »

The 4 LTR models I have on 900 (m11wgd4cu1an) I can make the trunking mode go away. It is still in the radio, but "Personality Active" is "disabled". It goes away and is not displayed. The radio goes channels 1 to 10, no channel 1A. The other one that is not LTR will nto let this happen. The LTR models don't seem to do conventional scan.

Josh KD6KML
Last edited by kd6kml on Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RidgeRunner

numbers

Post by RidgeRunner »

When you say forget the test freqs you mean align the radio in the software, then check out the alignment with your service monitor on a 902 ham freq. I guess I just have to fiddle with it more b/c thats what I did...If you could dig out those numbers that would be great it would probably get me into a closer ball park.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”