new to 900

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RapidCharger

new to 900

Post by RapidCharger »

I am new to 900 hamatuer and was wondering what might be a good first radio if I'm looking for something cheap and easily programmable to the ham band, without having to modify it. I don't think there is any 900 action where I live, but I'm moving anyway! So that's how I can rationalize buying another radio! The least expensive portable and/or mobile would be of interest to me such as something that costs less than $100. Any thoughts, and any way to get other hamatuers on to 900. There is nothing in the catalogs for 900, so it is so very quiet way up there.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

900 mHz...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Last time I looked, which was a while back, this Batboard section had a wealth of information about this subject, including the radios which could be converted to 900/928 use, which ones were not easy to convert, the problems with the repeater split, etc.

As far as I know, today there are no readily available, off-the-shelf amateur radios being sold for 900 mHz use.

Here's another idea. If there's a 900 mHz repeater in your area, you could contact the owner to get his/her input on what equipment works best for them and what their experience has been with that band.

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS
kb8zqz

Re: new to 900

Post by kb8zqz »

GeorgeJEfferson wrote:I am new to 900 hamatuer and was wondering what might be a good first radio if I'm looking for something cheap and easily programmable to the ham band, without having to modify it. I don't think there is any 900 action where I live, but I'm moving anyway! So that's how I can rationalize buying another radio! The least expensive portable and/or mobile would be of interest to me such as something that costs less than $100. Any thoughts, and any way to get other hamatuers on to 900. There is nothing in the catalogs for 900, so it is so very quiet way up there.
The GTX handhelds seem to go for about $125 w/charger and don't require hardware mods. Mine isn't tested yet, but others in the area seem to think they work well.

Similar comments apply to the GTX mobiles.

I can't remember if RSS hex editing is needed.

Check your local bandplan; Michigan currently (under review) claims to use the ARRL one, which puts repeaters in the middle of the band. Most commercial gear doesn't convert well to that range, since the LMR band is split around the ham band. Thus, all the repeaters are actually on the SERA 25 MHz split plan.
n_zero_ndp

$100 902 hamband radio

Post by n_zero_ndp »

The /\/\ GTX is the radio you will find in that price range. Walkies & mobiles are going for about the same price (got my walkie for $95 w/o charger - any Motorola nut should already have a charger). RSS hex editing is required to allow for hamband frequency entries. No other mods are needed.

Ken
RapidCharger

Re: $100 902 hamband radio

Post by RapidCharger »

n_zero_ndp wrote:The /\/\ GTX is the radio you will find in that price range. Walkies & mobiles are going for about the same price (got my walkie for $95 w/o charger - any Motorola nut should already have a charger). RSS hex editing is required to allow for hamband frequency entries. No other mods are needed.

Ken
Roger that. It has been my finding that the GTX is the best option. I should have read more before opening my big mouth.

There are no 900 repeaters in my current area, the area that I plan to be moving away from within 90 days. I don't know if there are any where I am moving to. In fact I don't even know where that is! Sounds like I need to get a clue! But figured I would start to shop around anyway.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”