GTX RX on 902

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n1pfc

GTX RX on 902

Post by n1pfc »

Does anyone know how the recieve sensitivity is on a GTX 900MHz mobile radio down around 902MHz? or if it is even possible to get it to recieve down there without extensive modification? The information on the batlabs site only lists RX @ 927MHz

Thanks,

Kurt
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

my experience has been that without modifying the VCO and whatnot, its not gonna do good there..

remember, the low part of the band is TX only, and its in the 896 range, so in essence you would be stretching the T/A VCO that low, and its original range was 935-941. so even once you got the VCO to lock there, you would be looking at changing filters, if they are even available for the GTX..

solution:

if you need RX on 902, get an 800 Maxtrac and convert it, i have several of them and no complaints thus far and alot cheaper (even after conversion) than a GTX]

hope this helps ya

marc
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Ok. That is about what I figured. Thanks!

Kurt
batman21

Post by batman21 »

Well, it is possible... I have a friend that did it by removing the front end filters and adding a chip cap to the VCO circuit. Rx sensitivity is now good at 902. Of course, with the filters out, it's just as good at 860- something. But a good set of bandpass cavities in front will fix that if it's for repeater use.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”