Advice on 900MHz Mobile and Base Antennas?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

Advice on 900MHz Mobile and Base Antennas?

Post by d119 »

Hi Group,
Just wondered what all everyone like as a 900MHz mobile antenna. Looking for something NMO-mount. Any advice on what to get, what it costs, and WHERE to buy it?

How about base antennas? I bought a Cushcraft S8964B for $25 on eBay... here's the link to it... http://www.cushcraft.com/details.asp?st ... roup_id=16 Is it any good?

I finally got my two MCS2000's going on 927MHz simplex, so soon it'll be time to set one up in the vehicle and at home. This should be interesting...

All help appreciated!
thehead7

Post by thehead7 »

I picked up a mobile 900 antenna for about $45 at a local comm shop, it was a 6 dBi gain antenna. I seem to remember the brand being "mobile solutions", but could be mistaken. The only problem I have with it is it whistles between about 52 and 63 mph. One day I'll get around to the fix, but I probably wouldn't hear it if it weren't mounted almost right above my head....

As for the base antennas, cushcraft makes an okay antenna. I'm not super impressed by anything of theirs I've seen, but you could do worse.

I've got a Cellwave 10 dBd gain antenna here that's going to be a repeater antenna. Now that's really what you need. It's only about 15 ft long and weighs about 28 lbs.

Stay Motivated
Head

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”