LTS2000

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

LTS2000

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I posted a similar question on the general discussion forum but no reply yet:(

I have a UHF LTS2000 (403-433MHz) NOT an 800/900MHz version but I guess the question applies to both types:

- can you disable squelch using keypad sequence. I can disable CTCSS but cannot defeat carrier squelch to get "white noise". Maybe its not possible on an LTS2000 although I can do this on all my other Moto rigs. I have however lowered the squelch threshold so that very weak signals break squelch using service mode.

- Is it possible to realign the front end using service mode/board replacement. Sensitivity is good but drops off at band edge (433MHz). As I am planning to extend band edge to 440 MHz, it would be useful if I can tweak the front end. Are there any band pass filter alignment options in the board replacement section of service mode?

Thanks

Martin G8TZL
WB6DGN

Disable carrier squelch

Post by WB6DGN »

Use RSS to go into radio/config. Under buttons, select an unused button, and select "sticky permanent monitor". This is usually set as a "long press" selection. This should give you what you need.

73 Tom KB5DPE
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The GTX 900 MHz radios (portable and mobile) have a MONitor button that disables the tone decode and turns on a loudspeaker icon in the display. There doesn't seem to be a way to actually open the squelch like you can with a MaxTrac. I don't recall seeing any option for this in RSS either.

Bob M.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks all.

Bob- looks like LTS2000 and GTX 900 are similar then re not being able to actually open the squelch. All my other Motorola handhelds act like kp5dpe says re holding squelch key for a couple of seconds and then you get white noise.

Any idea about being able to realign front end band pass filters via service mode?

Thanks

Martin G8TZL
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

My experiences are limited to the GTX 900 radios. Earlier this week I programmed a mobile radio to find out how low it would go and still receive adequately. For a radio that's spec'd for 935-941 MHz receive, it did quite nicely down to 917 MHz, losing no more than 1dB sensitivity. It then started dropping off and was about 8 dB poorer at 913 MHz. The VCO failed to lock at 912.5 MHz. When this happens, the tone that's normally heard when any front panel button is pressed just goes away. I found no mention of this in the service manual and I didn't look in the owner's manual yet. I would presume that the high end would go significantly higher than 941 but I didn't check it there. I don't recall seeing anything adjustable in the front end in the mobile radio, and I doubt there's anything you can tweak in a portable either.

Bob M.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks for the info Bob

73 Martin G8TZL
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

- Is it possible to realign the front end using service mode/board replacement. Sensitivity is good but drops off at band edge (433MHz). As I am planning to extend band edge to 440 MHz, it would be useful if I can tweak the front end. Are there any band pass filter alignment options in the board replacement section of service mode?

Do NOT attempt to align any radio using the board replacement selection in the RSS, it's not designed to perform that function.

Not only that, but the RSS will not allow you to perform any alignments/adjustments while you are in that menu area either.

As for out of band splits on a 403-433 radio, good luck.
Many have narrow frequency spreads and cause the radio's VCO to become unlocked when altered for use outside the intended band split.

And I have not been into the LTS/LCS RSS enough to know all the quirks of that platform to know what can and can not be done, but somehow, I seriously doubt you will be 'allowed' to enter frequencies outside the normal operating band split of the radio and have it programmed to accept these new frequencies and function there as well, but playing will not brick the radio though as they are moderately 'smarter' then your average GP300.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

As with the GTX, you can NOT make an LTS2000 program as a GTX, nor can you swap fronts on the 800 GTX and program it as a 900, even though the radio itself was swapped, the firmware does nto allow it, and you will get a model error as well....BUT, you can attempt it using the F2 prompt that will pop up.

It does no good though.

Here's what you CAN'T do............

1. Swap GTX 800 covers with GTX 900 radios....

2. Swap GTX 900 radios with LTS2000 covers.....

3. Swap ANY 800 GTX/LTS cover and program as a 900....(regardless of actual radio band replaced)

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”