800 MAXTRAC to 902 rx question

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BDB

800 MAXTRAC to 902 rx question

Post by BDB »

I have a trunking maxtrac here that will do talkaround / conventional . If I do the hardware modifications listed here and elsewhere will I be able to skip the firmware change as it will already do conventional ?

Thanks !
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Will your trunking RSS allow you to enter 902 freqs?
BDB

Post by BDB »

It will not take it directly. Is it possible to hex the bandsplit up ?
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

If you have labmax conventional rss, try to use it to program the conventional channels....

It is not hard to just make it conventional with a firmware change, then you can put a 2ch front on it and save your multi ch front for another radio...
BDB

Post by BDB »

It's a smartnet C6 model to begin with. I don't mind experimenting. I'm trying to hex the file at this time. I'll keep you posted.
BDB

Post by BDB »

It does indeed work without a firmware change. If someone does have a T/A VCO in an 800 maxtrac there is no need to change it to a conventional radio. Performance wise I'm getting solid rx on 902.4125 at .20uv with both filters bypassed.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

So, what did you have to do to get that frequency into the radio? Just hex-edit the band limit to allow out-of-band operation, or was there more to it?

Did you use trunking or conventional software on it?

Now if you change the filters, you'll reduce the susceptibility to image signals and other junk. I have a few left. Contact me privately if you're interested.

Bob M.
BDB

Post by BDB »

Yes a hex edit of the trunking .MDF did it. I Replaced the two instances of FC21 with IC25. The radio also receives well in the commercial band. Now I need a good transmitter for 927 and I'll be set. Check your PM's in reference to the filters.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”