900 MHz Spectra frustrations - HELP PLEASE!!

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

900 MHz Spectra frustrations - HELP PLEASE!!

Post by n9wys »

OK – I have been messing with this radio for several weeks, and still cannot get it to operate properly.

I have installed a conventional codeplug into the radio; it seems to TX and RX properly, but the control head still does not operate properly. VOL, MODE, DIM and HOME all work fine; other buttons (PAGE, PHONE, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 0) do not work at all, and the others (SCAN, CALL, SEL, 1, 7-H/L, 8-MON, 9-DIR, *-RCL and #-DEL) sound with a “BOOP”. HOWEVER, if I go into the Test Mode in RSS, all the buttons work properly. Go figure.
:roll:

I worked via online chat with Jason – KB9KST for several hours trying to diagnose this thing, to no avail. I believe the problem is in the codeplug data strings – they do not match, and all the trying in the world with LAB could not get them to match up. Finally, Jason and I decided that because of the late hour, we were giving up.

Here is what I have the radio configured as:
Serial: 566ASS0309
Model: D37KGA5JB7FK
MLM: HNV6026A V6.06
Command Board: HLN6094C

(Bob M.: This is the radio that had the toasted cap on the Command Board)

Here are the two strings as stored in the MLM and the Command Board:

Command Board (B681 – B690)
03 FF FE 0F 9F 77 F1 EE 46 84 0C 1F 00 00 00 00

MLM (6183 – 6194)
C2 8B EE 94 00 11 C2 8B EE 94 00 12 C2 8B EE 94

OK – can anyone tell me what is going on? If I read BatLabs correctly, if the MLM and the CB do not match, the radio takes what is in the MLM and puts it in the CB. This doesn’t appear to be happening here. Now, I know absolutely NOTHING about what each of these values means, so I don’t know whether these two strings would end up having the same checksum or not. But I do know that after about 8 tries to write the string to the CB manually, it did not take.

My thinking is the radio control head does not work properly because the two strings don’t match. Maybe I’m all wet, but I can’t get the radio to work in DIR mode because the button doesn’t operate properly.

I’d really like to get this radio programmed and off my bench so I can move on to other projects that are backing up. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help?

Thanks!
Mark - N9WYS
kk6rq
What radios do you own?: My wife is calling; go away...

Moflag string mismatch

Post by kk6rq »

So welcome to the fun of moflags! Here's what's up: The B681 string is always fixed. The 6183 string goes travelling, how far forward depends on the size of the codeplug. It can be 10 bytes away or HUNDREDS of bytes away. This of course is a pain in the rear going one at a time in the bitbanger. Just keep tapping that key (I'm not currently looking at an RSS screen, but I think it's F4?) and you'll find the matching string eventually. Good luck.
n9wys
What radios do you own?: Too many to list! :-)

Post by n9wys »

OK - thanks...

I guess I just need to have some patience (someting that I sorely lack at times like this). :-?
Mark - N9WYS

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”