MTX9250 for 33cm ham?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cracked

MTX9250 for 33cm ham?

Post by cracked »

Is this radio a good choice for 33cm ham use? Does it operate OK outside of its intended band without receiver sensitivity problems, RFPA problems, etc? We have a guy on eBay right now selling one "ham modified" (whatever that means...re-tuned, programmed with hacked up CPS, both?). I'm already set up for programming Waris radios, so I think the 9250 could be a good way to start experimenting with 33cm. What's the deal?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Ive had good luck with them, mind I have only used them on simplex, not repeated operation on 902.

Its all software to move a 9250/950 to 902, so It'll be a relatively easy move.

Software isnt the same as conventional waris CPS. Cable, etc is the same. Youll need Professional Trunking Series CPS.
n9upw

Re: MTX9250 for 33cm ham?

Post by n9upw »

Yep, the 9250 works great on the ham portion of the 33cm band. I've got one and wish I had a couple more. I've got mostly 1250 stuff for VHF and UHF so it makes it nice to use the same chargers and accessories. As was said before, the waris software will not work with the 9250, it has to be trunking software. My 9250 works great on both repeated channels and 927 simplex without opening up the radio.

Derek
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

n9upw wrote:Yep, the 9250 works great on the ham portion of the 33cm band. I've got one and wish I had a couple more. I've got mostly 1250 stuff for VHF and UHF so it makes it nice to use the same chargers and accessories. As was said before, the waris software will not work with the 9250, it has to be trunking software. My 9250 works great on both repeated channels and 927 simplex without opening up the radio.

Derek
I haven't messed with the software for them at all, however, I'm wondering if you can just list out where to change the band limits of the software.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

alex wrote:
n9upw wrote:Yep, the 9250 works great on the ham portion of the 33cm band. I've got one and wish I had a couple more. I've got mostly 1250 stuff for VHF and UHF so it makes it nice to use the same chargers and accessories. As was said before, the waris software will not work with the 9250, it has to be trunking software. My 9250 works great on both repeated channels and 927 simplex without opening up the radio.

Derek
I haven't messed with the software for them at all, however, I'm wondering if you can just list out where to change the band limits of the software.

-Alex
Look here Alex...http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31214

I have the exact version of the CPS listed, just used a hex editor and changed the listed addresses. Worked great on 902/927 and normal commercial SmartNet and conventional stuff.

Dave

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”