LMR NMO MOUNTS?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gopher

LMR NMO MOUNTS?

Post by gopher »

are there any nmo mounts that come with lmr195/200 or similar?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Re: LMR NMO MOUNTS?

Post by Jim2121 »

yep! try looking at this site http://www.wpsantennas.com/custom-cable-and-mounts.aspx
then post back with more info.....
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yes, both Maxrad and RadiallLarsen make them. Alternately, you can purchase the bare NMO mounts and solder whatever cable you want to them.
gopher

Post by gopher »

does anyone recognize this mini-uhf connector. i picked it up directly from the motorola dealer, because the cheap Chinese connectors don't seem to sit right. is it a hex crimp or compression? Image
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

We have used them at work before & I have always used the hex crimp on them. I have seen people use the compression tool on them but its no where near as good as the hex crimp.
fineshot1
NJ USA
john9912
New User

Post by john9912 »

Also Cushcraft makes mounts with their Ultralink mobile double shielded cable. High percentage braid and foil shielding. Very good stuff. Same size as RG58 and Times LMR195. Cable is also available in white if you are running it indoors and don't want a black cable showing.

The connector is standard Motorola Mini-UHF. When used with a properly adjusted coax cable stripper and correct crimp tool, they are the easiest, quickest connectors to put on. Literally can be put on in less than 10 seconds. The center does not have to be cut exact. If the center is 1/4" or 1/2" or 3/4" too long, it doesn't matter. The excess sticks out the end of the connector and is trimmed off at the end.

For RG58 sized cable, crimp center with .042 or .052 and crimp outside ferrule with .213.

Majority of problems I have seen with those connectors is the center won't fit in the female connector if the proper crimper was not used.

John L.
Sparta, NJ
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I made my own nmo mount with LMR240 cable and crimped a male N conn on the end(11 feet of LMR240) and ran
the cable into the trunk to the Icom IC-900A band stack and connected to the 1.2ghz band module - works great.
Last edited by fineshot1 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fineshot1
NJ USA
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Ahh... CushCrap.

That connector is a typical Motorola mini-UHF. That's a "three-piece" design: body, ring, and ferrule. The four-piece design with a separate pin (such as the RF Industries RFU-600-6) are far better.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

I've used these:

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=975

At one time they were on special for less than $5 each and I bought a bunch, absolutely super for trunk mounts. These guys also had the same thing but in Mini-UHF but I can't find it now on their site.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”