XPR5550 No Wideband Operation

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

XPR5550 No Wideband Operation

Post by escomm »

CPS will allow you to select the deviation amongst 12.5/20/25 at the personality level. But when you go to write the radio, it coughs up an error about being unable to proceed, and registering the 25KHz option in the CPS. Of course this error message appears when you select 20KHz as well. I suspect this option is for Canadian users, who of course are not affected by narrowbanding.

Unfortunately it seems Motorola has not implemented the narrowband rules for only Part 90 frequencies, as it looks like they will be doing with the APX (based on the APX release notes).

If so, then that will make getting these radios into the amateur market that much more difficult. Which is really unfortunate because TRBO is really getting hot within the amateur community.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XPR5550 No Wideband Operation

Post by escomm »

I should note that this behavior is expected on Part 90 frequencies since the radio received type acceptance after 12/30/10. But being lazy and leaving out the frequencies not covered by Part 90 is, well, lazy IMHO.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I hear through the grapevine that you can call up M and ask them for a code to active wide band. They won't come out of the box with it active. I do not know if there is a cost associated with this, but that is what I hear.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I do hope that's true.... Guess I'll find out Monday :)
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Thank goodness I went with the SL! Anal-log sucks anyhow.

Marshall
W1HVN
What radios do you own?: MX300 w/DVP

Post by W1HVN »

escomm wrote:I do hope that's true.... Guess I'll find out Monday :)

Jeff, don't forgt to let us know if it's possible to unlock wfm this week.

Any XPR Repeaters around that need a new home?

New portables to follow the 5550 mobile line?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I was told at IWCE the XPR7550 would be out by the third quarter......maybe sooner
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

yeah this would make me want to hold off on getting these for some of my customers to use on wide band until all the rest of the trucks are changed
ki4gyw

Post by ki4gyw »

Well that sucks, Everyone in TN is waiting last minute to narrowband. I take it you got some SL's in escomm?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

My understanding is that the code will unlock the software or they will be providing a different version of software, not sure which. No mention of any additional cost.

Guess we'll find out when the demos arrive.....
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

com501 wrote:My understanding is that the code will unlock the software or they will be providing a different version of software, not sure which. No mention of any additional cost.

Guess we'll find out when the demos arrive.....
It'll be just like a feature enablement...we already have to do this here in Canada to be able to access frequencies above 866MHz. We have to request the "Canada Full Frequency Enablement" in order to have the CPS allow the higher frequencies. It will be the same for the wide band...we'll be able to order the enablement here in Canada...I don't know if there will be a separate enablement for the non-Part 90 frequencies. We didn't pay for the frequency enablement that I'm aware of, but if not probably because we're a dealer. Others may need to pay.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
com501

Post by com501 »

Was it a per radio feature, or different software entitlement?

I am NOT looking forward to a 'per radio' feature set, since about 90% of customers in Nevada have NOT even bothered to get licensed yet, and there are MANY radios on order.

Waiting.....
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

It is a license for the computer. Not a per radio license. I have mine up and running, it works like wavetar says it does.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:It is a license for the computer. Not a per radio license. I have mine up and running, it works like wavetar says it does.
Correct. Even when you upgrade to a new TRBO CPS version (which, as we all know, involves removing the old version first, then installing the new version) on the same computer which had the 'enablement', it remains. This tells me it is a simple entry in the registry...hmmm...
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
nrembis
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2k, MCS2k, XTS3k

Post by nrembis »

escomm wrote:Of course this error message appears when you select 20KHz as well. I suspect this option is for Canadian users, who of course are not affected by narrowbanding.
Southern California I think...
com501

Post by com501 »

I will be doing a compare when I get the entitlement ID, and we will see.
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Any of the dealers here able to price the entitlement ID if one were to buy it?

Of course a registry hack would be better though :)
d119

Post by d119 »

The entitlement ID is free. All I had to do was call subscriber support and request it. They e-mailed me some legalese that they required me to cut and paste into an e-mail back to them acknowledging it, and they sent me the entitlement ID. The ID is for one installation of CPS on one PC. You can request more than one, I requested 10 (to cover all the PC's at our office). It was a no-hassle process.
derekjmu

Post by derekjmu »

Can an entitlement ID also be acquired for the new XPR7550 portable?
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Yes. Its the same. Just ordered one this morning. You will need to show ownership of TRBO CPS RVN5115Y.

Marshall

derekjmu wrote:Can an entitlement ID also be acquired for the new XPR7550 portable?

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”