Multiple IDs in a single radio? - UPDATED DEC 10/12

Moderator: Queue Moderator

borisf

Multiple IDs in a single radio? - UPDATED DEC 10/12

Post by borisf »

Is it possible to have multiple Radio IDs in a single radio so it can be used on different networks/repeater systems? Something like the personalities in analog mode, like a different identity per channel?
Bigfella237

Re: Multiple IDs in a single radio?

Post by Bigfella237 »

You didn't mention which radio but generally speaking, yes.

Talking Motorola, you would just create a new ASTRO System (for conventional) or a new Trunking System for each unique Unit ID, then a new personality pointing to the new system, then have the modes for each system set to their respective personalities.

Andrew
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

No, a TRBO radio is limited to one ID in total.

Quite a problem if you've got multiple systems with different ID's assigned on each.
borisf

Post by borisf »

MikeOxlong wrote:No, a TRBO radio is limited to one ID in total.
Thank you.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Not being able to have multiple systems with different ID's is a major drawback to the TRBO line if you are using them for anything other than strictly commercial use. I use my XPR7550 for ham as well as on some commercial systems. The one radio ID is not so much of a problem for me, but when assigning Group calls in the radio and you have the same group call (such as the default 1, 2, 3, etc) spread over multiple systems with different users, the radio simply uses the first group call X that is programmed into the call list, regardless of which one is used in the RX Group List assigned to the channel.

I see why this is done, since the chances of a business radio roving over multiple different networks that need different ID's is slim, but it's inconvenient.
Jake
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Look at it this way, if the manufacturers had made it so a radio could only have one ID radio wide in the public safety line long ago, maybe alias and subscriber management in large metro areas wouldn't be the train wreck it is today.

But to confirm what's already been said- the MotoTRBO radios only have one digital ID field to populate.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

there was huge thread on the yahoo list on this
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

NSPD wrote:Not being able to have multiple systems with different ID's is a major drawback to the TRBO line if you are using them for anything other than strictly commercial use. I use my XPR7550 for ham as well as on some commercial systems. The one radio ID is not so much of a problem for me, but when assigning Group calls in the radio and you have the same group call (such as the default 1, 2, 3, etc) spread over multiple systems with different users, the radio simply uses the first group call X that is programmed into the call list, regardless of which one is used in the RX Group List assigned to the channel.
Even worse if that other system is Capacity Plus; the ham GSM IMSI-style IDs are too long for CP systems.
borisf

Post by borisf »

KitN1MCC wrote:there was huge thread on the yahoo list on this
Which one?
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

the yahoo mototrbo one
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

Are there any sort of rules or guidelines on assigning the digital ID's to trbo radios? Our EOC maintains a cache of them, well, just got a cache I am programming, that could potentially need to work on multiple different systems run by different people. My thought is coming up with some high numbered radio ID that I can put in our radios that will hopefully be unlikely to be used on the various systems. Is it this easy, or am I missing something? No ham systems at this point in our area. I am thinking some sort of id like 266201 (state# county #, some radio #) Our neighbor EOC could do the same thing could then do their own county number.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

are these going to be used on a commercial/public service system. may want to contact the system operator. if they are to be used by hams will need to contact http://www.dmr-marc.net/ for ids
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

tdats wrote:Are there any sort of rules or guidelines on assigning the digital ID's to trbo radios? Our EOC maintains a cache of them, well, just got a cache I am programming, that could potentially need to work on multiple different systems run by different people. My thought is coming up with some high numbered radio ID that I can put in our radios that will hopefully be unlikely to be used on the various systems. Is it this easy, or am I missing something? No ham systems at this point in our area. I am thinking some sort of id like 266201 (state# county #, some radio #) Our neighbor EOC could do the same thing could then do their own county number.
One caveat is that you can't go above 65535 for ID numbers in a Capacity Plus or Linked Capacity Plus system, so something to keep in mind.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

*Update*

For Connect Plus radios only, there will be capacity for up to 16 different individual ID's sometime in Q1 of 2013, as part of the Connect Plus 1.3 feature release, along with "Automatic Conventional Subscriber Fallback"...ie: failsoft, and 40-bit advanced privacy.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
gopher

Re: Multiple IDs in a single radio? - UPDATED DEC 10/12

Post by gopher »

If you use Capacity plus in your radio You CAN request and get a Capacity plus compliant ID (<65535) from the DMR-MARC. Just put it in the comments that your a radio tech and need one.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”