IP Site connect and GPS tracking issues....pls help

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dorf411

IP Site connect and GPS tracking issues....pls help

Post by Dorf411 »

I have a customer with a 4 repeater IP Site connect system. We recently had to send a repeater in to fix a PA problem for the 3rd time, now this repeater will not pass GPS positons over the IP site connect. The voice still works over the site connect but the GPS is being lost or blocked for some reason. Here are the details.

Repeater XPR8300 current firmware is 01.09.11 and the tracking software is Streettrek, all the voice and data is sent over slot one to a control station.

I was able to take a stock repeater to the site that has an older firmware of 01.08.00 and it will pass GPS traffic on the Streettrek right away but I can't get it to work on the original repeater. I was unable to discuss this problem with the guys a Comtran who make the tracking software as I am sure they are quite busy with storms on the East Coast.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this problem? I tried to find the old firmware to downgrade the repeater but it is no longer available on Motorola Online.

Thoughts?

Thanks....
Bill_G

Re: IP Site connect and GPS tracking issues....pls help

Post by Bill_G »

Our Trbo master suggest you upgrade all the stations with the caveat that he's not certain. He hasn't had this problem yet, but he has had other problems with mixing revs between sites. If push comes to shove, we might be able to find a copy of the old version for you.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

I'm thinking I would rather go back on one than forward on all of them. This is ridiculous we shouldn't have to visit every site when ever Motorola updates the firmware. I would love to try a new firmware, I looked on my file server and couldn't find anything for the repeaters and I didn't have anything on my laptop either.

When I called MOL tech support they just said send it back to them as a bouncer, that seems odd.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

If you do have an older firmware it need it for a UHF XPR8300 M27QPR9JA7AN

Thanks,

John
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You cannot 'downgrade' the TRBO firmware, as far as I'm aware?

I'm assuming you're using enhanced GPS? If so, one thing to look at...only one of the repeaters in an IPSC system should be set as the timing master. I assume your timing master is another repeater in the system as the other 3 sites continue to work, so check to make sure the Periodic Window Reservation is set to "none" in this repeater. If a percentage is set in this repeater, GPS updates sent in on that repeater will not carry out over the rest of the system, and vice versa.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

You are correct, I cannot downgrade per Motorola. They sent me a file to upgrade the master to R01.08.32 which I did but it still did not correct the problem. I am not using enhanced GPS. I have some repeaters with somewhat older versions of firmware and Motorola is suggesting that I upgrade everything which perhaps makes sense but I am concerned that the entire system may fail after that.

I think at this point I will wait for some feedback from Comtran before I go any further. If Lenny can assure me he has systems functioning fine on the new firmware then I will go that route with all of the repeaters and as many subscribers as I can get to.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You should definitely get all your infrastructure on the same firmware revision. I've assembled a couple of IP Site Connect systems recently with 1.09.00 and both systems work just fine, although both use Enhanced GPS as well.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

Friday I setup a system with 2 repeaters, 1 control station, and one portable w/gps all with the latest firmware and it won't work with our application privider's gps tracking server. I am at the point where I think the application server needs some updates done to correct the problem.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I too agree, the firmware mismatch absolutely can/will cause issues playing with each other.
tvnews

Post by tvnews »

Setting up two XPR-8300 linked?

Hi, I see you guys talking about IP site connect. I started over the summer collecting equipment to put up a Trbo system with two repeaters linked. I'v now reach the point of having what I THINK I need for a basic system (2 XPR8300's, 1 XPR-6300, 1 Hytera Portable). Has anyone put together any type of tutorial on actually putting a working system up?

Thanks
Dean
WB2CMN
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I don't believe that a hytera portable will play with the motorola IPSC system (roam wise), however it should be tested before that is said as last word. You could of course manually switch between the two sites on that radio.
tvnews

Post by tvnews »

OK, I'm just learning here. But I have seen that some of the features seem to have issues between Hytera and Motorola. I may have to pick up another Motorola portable. If I were using two motorolas would I be able to link the two repeaters via internet and have everything being said one one link out and go over both?

Thanks
Dean
WB2CMN
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

Yes, just be sure and get the correct Trbo portable. Not all will do IPSC out of the box. But even if they don't they will still work locally to the repeater site they just will not 'roam'. You can also search on "MotoTrbo System Planner" where you should find the Mototrbo System Planner document that will give you loads of information on designing an IPSC system.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”