XPR listen only earpeice

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

XPR listen only earpeice

Post by tdats »

Does anyone know of a acoustic ear tube listen only earpiece that works with the XPR portable radios, specifically the XPR7550? I picked up a 2 pin adapter that goes on the side and adapts to the 2 pin speaker mic connector, but that does not seem to work. When I plug an earpiece into it, the radio plays the accessory connected tone, then you hear in the earpeice the disconnect tone, then the process repeats over and over again.

I know I can hook up a speaker mic, then plug the earpiece into that. Most of the time though, I don't want all that extra stuff.

Kinda on the same topic, how about one for a XTS2500, same thing, listen only acoustic ear tube style. I tried another 2 pin adapter thingies on those, but it is not very reliable.

Tim Deater
tdats

Re: XPR listen only earpeice

Post by tdats »

Some things I have learned digging into this so far:

The adapter I picked up from kaWaMall on Ebay adapting the side accessory connector to a 2 pin speaker mic connector works fine on a XPR6550, but not the XPR7550. I did see a section on the software though for what type of cable, and mine is set to Motorola Solutions. I thought about changing that to try some other settings, but I am not sure if that might cause any problems, especially writing the radio after changing it.

My current idea is to get a 2wire earpeice set, and disconnect the mic wires from the connector to see if it will work. If it comes to that, I'll post my results here. For that to possibly work though, I did find a setting in the software for what mic is active. The default setting on my radio was 'Default' which always uses the mic on the accessory when connected no matter what PTT is pressed. Changing it to follow PTT, the mic that is active is associated with what PTT you press.
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Post by KX5MOT »

Check out Otto Engineering, they have RX only 1 wire surveillance kits for almost any radio. And they tend to last longer than the Chinese crap on eBay.
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

You know if you need receive only you can mate the XPR7550 to a consumer bluetooth earpiece.
Jake
tdats

Post by tdats »

Pairing it to a bluetooth headset works well, but in my case, it does not work well for me. Part of it is that I need to invest in a better bluetooth headset, and the other part is that my ear's shape does not seem to be very compatible with those sort of things. :-) The ear piece I have (that I 'borrowed' from my wife's cell phone) is just not loud enough in some of the higher noise areas I need it to work in.

I looked around Otto's website, but did not find anything. I emailed them and they sent me to part number V1-11047. It looks like that is my winner for this project.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”