XPR7550 GPS

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

XPR7550 GPS

Post by tdats »

I am finally getting to play with a trbo digital system recently deployed in our county. The display on my radio is showing that it is receiving a GPS signal, looking at the little filled in satellite dish icon. When I go into menu, utilities, radio information, then select GPS Info, I get an Retrieve GPS Info Failed error. Do I have something checked wrong in the software or something? Any ideas?

Also, are there any utilities or software for decoding GPS data from the radios? I have played with the site survey software I found on MOL, but it does not seem to pull down GPS coordinates from my radio either. Any other cool software or utilities to play with?

We have not deployed any GPS tracking or anything across the fleet yet, but that is in the plans. We want to work our any of the bugs first before adding features.

I have version 2.04.00 on my radio.

Thanks!
TreyH

Re: XPR7550 GPS

Post by TreyH »

If you don't have any 'ARS' or data servers running you will want the GPS turned off and the ARS Radio ID and TMS Radio ID empty, and the ARS disabled in the programming of the radio. Otherwise your radios will be trying to register to a non-existent server and cause a lot of unnecessary traffic. The site survey tool lets you ride around with a gps enabled trbo radio and create a file that can be later imported into google earth. The resulting map will be a breadcrumb trail of your recorded path and your RSSI (signal strength) at various spots. We use it to determine RSSI programming settings in a IP site connect environment.

Some useful features for dispatch and supervisors would be:
Radio disable/enable
Radio Monitor
Radio Check
Private Calls and Group Calls
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Make sure that 'radio monitor' is a feature that doesn't conflict with anyone in your employee/employer relations manual or union agreements. Check with your HR department and your lawyers before giving ANYONE the ability to monitor someone else's radio without permission....
radioeng462
No Longer Registered

Post by radioeng462 »

com501 wrote:Make sure that 'radio monitor' is a feature that doesn't conflict with anyone in your employee/employer relations manual or union agreements. Check with your HR department and your lawyers before giving ANYONE the ability to monitor someone else's radio without permission....
Really?? Give me a break!
com501

Post by com501 »

No, really.

You can be sued and your company or department can be held criminally and/or civilly liable for unauthorized monitoring of employee conversations without notification or permission.

This is established legal precedent. Just because you haven't written a 6 figure check to somebody's lawyer yet, doesn't mean it won't happen in this litigious society.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

com501 wrote:No, really.

You can be sued and your company or department can be held criminally and/or civilly liable for unauthorized monitoring of employee conversations without notification or permission.

This is established legal precedent. Just because you haven't written a 6 figure check to somebody's lawyer yet, doesn't mean it won't happen in this litigious society.
Cite?
com501

Post by com501 »

The laws vary based on the state you are in and on any contracts or agreements you may have with a labor body. Wiretap laws vary by state. Some Federal wiretap laws override some state laws. It is ALWAYS necessary to get a legal clarification from your legal department and from HR before implementing this kind of feature unless you are willing to take the responsibility....

I won't do it for a customer without a written letter on file on their letterhead.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

You said this was established legal precedent. Cite the established legal precedent. The reason I ask for this is because there are numerous laws, at both the state and federal level, as well as case law, that contradict your claims. Note that it's legal for employers to monitor text messages, phone calls, computer screens, and internet usage. I don't see why a radio would be any different. If the employer owns the network, and uses the network for business purposes, there's no real expectation of privacy.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Also note that any agreement with a union would be a contractual matter, and would thus be a civil matter, not criminal.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Not to mention, think of the thousands of radios systems which are voice logged, where I'd guess 90+% of the users don't know it's happening. TRBOnet even allows the logging of private calls and text messages if using a direct repeater connection.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”