Malicious interference

Moderator: Queue Moderator

marcosorourke
What radios do you own?: XPR7550

Malicious interference

Post by marcosorourke »

Has anyone had an unauthorized user on their systems disable radios?

We have had a couple of our radios "reboot" and then get disabled. I've seen some unknown (and unassigned by me) IDs on the system.

Is there anything I can do to prevent unauthorized users on our system?
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Malicious interference

Post by wavetar »

marcosorourke wrote:Is there anything I can do to prevent unauthorized users on our system?
You need to give a few details on the type of system you have, and what subscriber units are in use on it. I'll assume it's not Connect Plus, and say that your best bet would be to implement the recently available RAS (Restricted Access to System) feature. Everything would need to be uplifted to the latest firmware, and the option needs to be purchased for the repeaters, but is available in the subscribers for free (except 3000 series, need to purchase for them too).
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

I have an IPSC system with 5 sites. My SU are about 10 XPR6550 portables with a few SL7550.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You're quick to answer! I hadn't finished editing my original post, lol. See above.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

Ha! I saw the email notification.

I saw the mention of RAS but our dealer is having a hard time finding the pricing for it. Do you know what the part number is for RAS for the repeaters?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

He can't look in the catalog???

HKVN4177 Restricted Access to System Security

Of course this will not do any good if the malcontent is using cloned IDs
marcosorourke

Post by marcosorourke »

Thank you for the quick reply!
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

OF course it will work.

Each radio in the system must have the RAS password entered into the radio by the dealer. Like encryption passwords, they CANNOT be read FROM the radio, so even if someone is handing the radio to the bootlegger to clone, he cannot glean the RAS password from the radio. The downside is you have to visit the site to upload the firmware and EID to the repeater and enter the RAS password one time.

But that WILL stop the foolishness.

Radios without the RAS password will NOT be able to access the system. If you suspect the hacker is gaining access to radios and turning them off in direct or talkaround mode, then you can enable encryption which will prevent the radio from receiving those commands, and you can, of course, turn off those features in the customer radios so they simply don't respond to enable/disable commands.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”