CAPACITY PLUS TRUNK ISSUES

Moderator: Queue Moderator

efc
What radios do you own?: cdm 1250

CAPACITY PLUS TRUNK ISSUES

Post by efc »

Hello,here is the situation:

6 XPR 8400repeters programmed to capacity plus,186 portable xpr3500,with about21 talk groups,customer may want one more talk group.Got the Repeaters programmed up in capacity plus on our own,then help from Moto.Here is the config:

Repeater 1 is the Master,with 5 Peers.We followed the instructions for setting them up,IP addresses and all,and it seems that when you add the 3rd repeater,the rest channel does not move to it and the repeating is only done with number one and number two repeater.If you ad any more repeaters,turn them on,it seems as though the trunking is at best intermittant if all.Mototrola went over the programming with us on Repeaters and portables,and of course say it is ok.I also noticed that occasionally,several repeater slot tx lights light up at the same time,then all goes to hell.We are going to try a different switch,the one now is Netgear,and Motorola recommends an HP switch.Just cannot fing any issues in programming,it seems as though the data in the switch "crashes" causing this issue.Two repeaters work,more do not.Thanks for any input.

Thank you John
John
mr.syntrx

Re: CAPACITY PLUS TRUNK ISSUES

Post by mr.syntrx »

You could try eliminating the switch from the equation.

Have you tried running the system with just two channels, with the repeaters connected back to back with an Ethernet cross over cable? Try it with the master, and then with each other peer repeater and see if the problem is associated with any particular peer repeater.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Ok, we had the same issues. Here are some things to consider.

1) All repeaters should have the same level of firmware>
2) The switch does not make to much of a difference. Any transparent switch of good quality (not managed) will do the trick. It does not have to be an HP, although that's what they tested it with.
3) Try physically changing the master repeater. This was our problem. A glitch in the actually unit just wouldn't work as a master, but worked fine as a peer.
4) Check to make certain that all of your IP addresses and ports all configured correctly.

How it should work is the rest channel should be pushed from time slot to timeslot to repeater as traffic is added. The easiest way to check operation is to get 11 radios with 6 people on 11 different talk groups near the repeater installation. Have them one by one key up and hold PTT. You should ultimately watch the rest channel move to the last open time slot, if my math is correct.

Good Luck, Rob Try changing the master to a different unit.
bundy125

Post by bundy125 »

Hello all,
I realize that this thread is pretty old, but I seem to be experiencing what y'all have described above with a Mototrbo system I have the responsibility of maintaining. On thing that I have noticed, is on key up, our 6550 handhelds will make the busy sound, but on the readout I am seeing "Out of Range". Is this one of the symptoms you may have seen with your problems?

Thanks
Bundy
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

OK, lets start with the basics and go from there.

First thing, go verify that you have the channels programmed correctly..
Ch1 slot 1
Ch1 slot 2
Ch2 slot 3
CH2 slot 4
CH3 slot 5
CH3 slot 6
It's easy to get this part wrong and easier to miss when troubleshooting.
Verify it in the radios as well. And make sure that if you are growing an existing system (adding repeaters) that the slots are properly added in the cap plus channel pool
Verify that your repeater ID's are sequential and none are the same as any other repeater. IE: radio id 1 radio id 2 radio id 3......
Refer to the motorola documentation on setting the UDP port settings for all repeaters.
Review the IP addresses, and subnet masks on all repeaters... and ensure that the peer repeaters refer back to the IP address of the master repeater (ID 1)

Short of that. I would need to directly review your code plugs. I would only ask that you identify your location. If it's not in my service area, I am more than willing to help. If you happen to be in Ohio, I would be glad to offer you my shops number to schedule a time for me to come look at it (at standard shop rate)
Not trying to be difficult, but I do this stuff for a living and am the ultra harsh guy in our shop about helping others make money in our service area. I can't very well cut my own throat
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

EFC and/or Bundy,
Any update on this? Thank you, FB.
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”