MotoTRBO. You saw it here first!!!!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

There have been murmurs of a high split model being available but I have not seen anything in writing as far as expected release date
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

FYI, the mobile accessory pins only seem partially functional, at least in the demo radios. They give an active 'high' regardless of whether they are programmed as 'low' or not. I have opened a case with Motorola & it now sits with someone in their tech support group. I'll update as the findings come to me.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Todd... if it's not resolved by Monday... I can always ask one of the product group guys in Vegas for you 8)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:Todd... if it's not resolved by Monday... I can always ask one of the product group guys in Vegas for you 8)
Don't rub it in...
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

:oops:
giardinop
What radios do you own?: (2)HT 1250, EX 500, EX600 XLS

Post by giardinop »

escomm wrote:There have been murmurs of a high split model being available but I have not seen anything in writing as far as expected release date
Thanks!
Communicating on......all /\/\ equipment
n1das

Post by n1das »

Johnny Galaga wrote:I've read other threads on here that it's really hard to get Motorola to sell you the CPS. Is that still true with these new radios?
M technically won't ever SELL you the CPS or any CPS for that matter because the CPS like any other software product is LICENSED, not SOLD to you. When M approves you for the General License or higher-level license for the HT/CDM series CPS, it's a software license agreement that you've been approved for.

Just like when you buy any software product (Microsoft Word for example) for your PC, the software is technically LICENSED, not SOLD to you. You technically don't OWN it. The money you pay is for the software license and permission to use the software according to the terms in Software License Agreement that comes with it.

Just thought I'd clear up this common misconception.

Re: Moto TRBO: *DROOL*

I suspect it shouldn't be any harder to get the TRBO CPS than any other CPS if the General License agreement is all that's required.

*DROOL*
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
Ham [HA] = N1DAS (2/1984)
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

We were told today that VHF is going to be available in mid-June.

Well, Motorola acknowledges the problem with the accessory connector. They are apparently working frantically on a fix, as it was an apparent oversight. When something so simple gets missed, it makes me lose faith in the rest of the product. Coming soon to an MSS near you...a firmware upgrade to fix this issue.

Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

So how do certain people get to be all on the inside? How do certain people get to be the first to have certain radios or information.
Analog already is interoperable.

mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

They cruise ebay late at night.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Johnny Galaga wrote:So how do certain people get to be all on the inside? How do certain people get to be the first to have certain radios or information.
They sell Motorola radios for a living
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:
Johnny Galaga wrote:So how do certain people get to be all on the inside? How do certain people get to be the first to have certain radios or information.
They sell Motorola radios for a living
Yeah, basically. We just ask our Motorola dealer rep the questions, and he generally answers them to the best of his knowledge & ability.

ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Been playing with the radios off and on for a few days and here is what I have found.

- PTT Alias is really cool, shows who is talking instantly on the display as long as the user alias is in your private ID list. If not it just shows the private ID number, a user can add the alias though via the full keypad portable or full keypad microphone on the mobiles.

- Text Messaging - Same structure as sending a message through the keypad of your phone. Often used messages can be stored in a quick text menu for convenience.

- Systems access is amazing, almost instant through the repeater but we can't seem to remove the ability for users to double or talk over each other no matter how you set the Admit Critiera in the Channel Personality Zone.

- MDC signalling in conventional sounds really diiferent on the TRBO radios but seems to work well between Waris series radios and the TRBO's. The TRBO radios mute the MDC from the Waris radios really nicely but TRBO to TRBO MDC and TRBO to Waris MDC mutes differently no matter the dos settings and isn't quite as pleasing to the ears.

- The Digital Emergency works great and is easy to set up, display model shows emergency along with who declared it and flashes the top L.E.D. red along with an audible alarm. Non-display just flashes the top L.E.D. red and audible alarm.

:evil: - Remote monitor - A user can remotely monitor a radio and it discretely transmits with out the user ever knowing. Not sure I like this feature but it works well and I could see a few people finding themselves in hot water with this feature. :oops:

- Radio Enable / Disable - pretty cool, any user with a display model radio can disable or enable a radio as long as it is enabled in the menu of the radio. Doesn't have to be the same radio that enables it that had disabled it either, any radio with the feature will do.

Only complaint so far is the audio sounds nasily, takes a little getting use to but over all sounds decent. We ended Yesterday trying to get the mapping and tracking working with our demo kit, will likely resume again Wednesday.

:lol: Two thumbs up for the 160 conventional channels in the display model radios and 32 for the non-display radios.

Looks like a nice solution for customers who use the Mike / Nextel and CDMA 10-4 systems as it has all the same features with out the monthly costs.
n1das

Post by n1das »

ve3nsv wrote:Only complaint so far is the audio sounds nasily, takes a little getting use to but over all sounds decent.
Is the nasily audio heard in analog or digital mode?

Does the MOTOTRBO have X-Pand audio companding? Could your nasily audio be due to this feature being ON? I haven't seen X-Pand listed as a feature in a product brochure or spec sheet for the radio.

Is the audio output loud and punchy and undistorted when you crank the volume up? I like portables with good and LOUD receive audio so I can easily hear the radio in noisy environments. I'm curious about how it compares to other Moto portables that are known for being real loud when the volume is cranked up.
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

n1das wrote:
ve3nsv wrote:Only complaint so far is the audio sounds nasily, takes a little getting use to but over all sounds decent.
Is the nasily audio heard in analog or digital mode?
Digital mode
Does the MOTOTRBO have X-Pand audio companding? Could your nasily audio be due to this feature being ON? I haven't seen X-Pand listed as a feature in a product brochure or spec sheet for the radio.
No low level expansion, companding or x-pand, just AGC in analog which I think sounds better off but it is a matter of personal preference.
Is the audio output loud and punchy and undistorted when you crank the volume up? I like portables with good and LOUD receive audio so I can easily hear the radio in noisy environments. I'm curious about how it compares to other Moto portables that are known for being real loud when the volume is cranked up.
Audio on the portables and mobiles is superb in my opinion but your mileage may vary depending on the install or application. My experience is based in comparison to the Waris and Commercial series radios so others may disagree.
n1das

Post by n1das »

ve3nsv wrote: Audio on the portables and mobiles is superb in my opinion but your mileage may vary depending on the install or application. My experience is based in comparison to the Waris and Commercial series radios so others may disagree.
Excellent! That's what I was curious about. If it blows away the Waris series receive audio, that's more than good enough for me.

If there's no X-Pand and low-level expansion, I'm not surprised. Many users seem to *HATE* X-Pand. Take away some of the analog audio options and push the digital audio as a better way to go.

Thanks!
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
n1das

Post by n1das »

Anybod have any updates on MOTOTRBO pricing and availability?

How much $ for the portables and mobiles?
When will production quantities be available?

MOTOTRBO = *DROOL* :D
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

n1das wrote:Anybod have any updates on MOTOTRBO pricing and availability?

How much $ for the portables and mobiles?
When will production quantities be available?

MOTOTRBO = *DROOL* :D
Production quantities are available now...we've already sold a complete portable/mobile/repeater system to a customer. All radio hardware has arrived & we'll be setting it up for them in the next little while.

I'm not in sales, so I don't know exact pricing, but I'm told the field radios are in the HT/CDM range and I know the repeater is less expensive than the rack-mount GR1225.

Todd

Bob

Post by Bob »

For those interested:

Models:
XPR4300 – MOTOTRBO Numeric Display Mobile
XPR4500 – MOTOTRBO Display Mobile
XPR4550 – MOTOTRBO Display Mobile w/ GPS
XPR6300 – MOTOTRBO Non-Display Portable
XPR6500 – MOTOTRBO Display Portable
XPR6550 – MOTOTRBO Display Portable w/ GPS
XPR8300 – MOTOTRBO Repeater

MOTOTRBO Model Numbering:

Example Model number: AA M27QPR9JA7AN

Prefix:
AZ: Asia/Australia
LA: Latin America
AA: North America (except Mexico)
MD: Europe/Middle East/Africa
Position 1:
H: Portable
M: Mobile / Repeater
Positions 2-3:
27: MOTOTRBO Mobile / Repeater series
55: MOTOTRBO Portable Series
Position 4: Band
Q: 403-470
Position 5: Power
D: 1-4 watts (portable)
N: 1-25 watts (mobile)
P: 25-40 watts (mobile)
P: 25-50 watts (repeater)
Position 6: Physical Package
C: Non-Display Model (portable)
C: Numeric Display Model (mobile)
H: Display Model (portable and mobile)
R: Repeater
Position 7: Channel Spacing
9: Variable/Programmable
Position 8: Primary Operation
J: w/o GPS
L: w/ GPS
Position 9: Primary System Type
A: Conventional
Position 10: Feature level
1: Standard (portable)
1: Mini-U (repeater and mobile)
2: BNC (repeater and mobile)
7: Rack Mount (repeater)
Position 11: Version letter
Position 12: Unique Model Variations
N: Standard Package

Part Numbers:

6816810H01-A MOTOTRBO Repeater Basic Service Manual
6816814H01-B MOTOTRBO Repeater Installation Guide XPR 8300 Repeater
6880309T08-A XPR Series Display Mobiles Quick Reference Card
6880309T09-A XPR Series Numeric Display Mobiles Quick Reference Card
6880309T10-A MOTOTRBO CPS, Tuner and AirTracer Applications Installation Guide
6880309T12-A MOTOTRBO System Planner
6880309T13-A XPR Series Display Portables Quick Reference Card
6880309T14-A XPR Series Non-Display Portables Quick Reference Card
6880309T15-A MOTOTRBO XPR 4500/XPR 4550 Display Mobile User Guide
6880309T18-A MOTOTRBO XPR 4300 Numeric Display Mobile User Guide
6880309T21-A MOTOTRBO Mobile Basic Service Manual
6880309T23-A MOTOTRBO Mobile Installation Guide
6880309T24-A MOTOTRBO XPR 6500/XPR 6550 Display Portable User Guide
6880309T27-A MOTOTRBO XPR 6300 Non-Display Portable User Guide
6880309T30-A MOTOTRBO Portable Basic Service Manual

HKN6184 Mobile Front Programming Cable
PMKN4010 Mobile and Repeater Rear Programming Cable
PMKN4012 Portable Programming Cable
PMKN4013 Portable Programming, Test, and Alignment Cable
PMKN4016 Mobile and Repeater Rear Programming, Test, and Alignment Cable

RVN5115 MOTOTRBO CPS, Tuner, and AirTracer Applications CD
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wavetar wrote: I'm not in sales, so I don't know exact pricing, but I'm told the field radios are in the HT/CDM range and I know the repeater is less expensive than the rack-mount GR1225.

Todd
The radios are more expensive than the their HT/CDM counterparts by about 25%, and the repeater lists for $2500

Also keep in mind if you want the locator and text messaging software be prepared to shell out another $1000-1500, as well as buying a computer to run it on.
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

What a ripoff.
Analog already is interoperable.

mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Bob wrote: Position 10: Feature level
1: Standard (portable)
1: Mini-U (repeater and mobile)
2: BNC (repeater and mobile)
BNC? About time!
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Thanks
Last edited by RFguy on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Ha! What a wrong statement. SO-239 is a ham connector. Mini-SO-239, I mean, mini-UHF should be classified as the same.

The entire N-connector family is considered one of the best connectors in the industry. BNCs are used extensively on commercial equipment overseas.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Alright guys, let's try and keep this thread on topic... no threadjacking on my watch.
n1das

Post by n1das »

Bob wrote: RVN5115 MOTOTRBO CPS, Tuner, and AirTracer Applications CD
Does the CPS require a Restricted SLA or does the General SLA cover it?
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
slavik

Post by slavik »

The XPR8300 has telephone port? Somebody tested it?
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

n1das wrote:
Bob wrote: RVN5115 MOTOTRBO CPS, Tuner, and AirTracer Applications CD
Does the CPS require a Restricted SLA or does the General SLA cover it?
Item Number. RVN5115B
CPS R1.0.59 GLOBAL MOTOTRBO

Item Number. RVN5115B
CPS R1.0.59 GLOBAL MOTOTRBO

Are both $299 on my MOL, so I guess it's covered under the general SLA.
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

wavetar wrote:we've already sold a complete portable/mobile/repeater system to a customer. All radio hardware has arrived & we'll be setting it up for them in the next little while.
How do you have this licensed? My guy who handles my licensing gave this response to the question
The biggest concern I have is with the continuous transmit. That just doesn't fit well on "shared" frequencies. I believe this will have to
be licensed under the provisions for "exclusive" use as trunking systems are (FB8 station class). This means that in a given area there are no
other licensees and will be no other licensees. In a heavily populated area it is almost impossible to get those kind of licenses for wide area operation; there are still some possibilities for lower power/height campus type systems. I suppose it would fit well on the 454/459 MHz wide area licenses that were sold at auction.
Just wondering if anyone has any more light on this?

Craig
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Out of curiosity, how far apart do frequencies get reassigned in the USA? In .au, ACMA won't reassign the same frequency within 100km of another licensee for a duplex system, or 140km for a simplex system. They also have a policy of only assigning frequencies already in use as far away as possible, e.g. given a choice, if they were going to assign a frequency in Sydney, and they found one only already in use on the west coast, they'd assign that one.

Also, I understand you have severe restrictions on what spectrum you can get access to thanks to the feds hogging huge chunks of bandwidth? We have 70-87.5, 149-174, 403-420 and 450-520 available for ordinary civilian land mobile radio, minus a few MHz here and there and the 800MHz band exclusively for trunking.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

mr.syntrx wrote:Out of curiosity, how far apart do frequencies get reassigned in the USA? In .au, ACMA won't reassign the same frequency within 100km of another licensee for a duplex system, or 140km for a simplex system. They also have a policy of only assigning frequencies already in use as far away as possible, e.g. given a choice, if they were going to assign a frequency in Sydney, and they found one only already in use on the west coast, they'd assign that one.
Both sides of the street. There are licenses on UHF from 470-476 that are "exclusive-use" frequencies. In crowded markets they can easily fetch $250-$300,000 apiece. Also, note that many of these exclusive-use licenses are 25kc separation, and the owners of these licenses are absolutely notorious for litigating just about any application for a splinter channel (12.5kc separation) or within their radius of exclusivity... the Commission tossed an application for a license located 39.95Km from another station because the area of exclusivity on the license was 40Km.

There will be some spectrum opening up in 2013 (assuming the FCC proceeds with narrowbanding), there are also some rumors now that the FCC is going to go straight to 6.25kc channel spacing and will throw the 12.5kc guideline out the window...

Frequencies below 470 are generally non-exclusive use, meaning anyone and their mom can apply for a license and probably have it granted. Interference issues must be resolved between the licensees, generally the FCC will not step unless one of the parties is unlicensed, running too much power etc.
Also, I understand you have severe restrictions on what spectrum you can get access to thanks to the feds hogging huge chunks of bandwidth? We have 70-87.5, 149-174, 403-420 and 450-520 available for ordinary civilian land mobile radio, minus a few MHz here and there and the 800MHz band exclusively for trunking.
We have comparable spectrum availale to AU, however the US has so many more radio users that spectrum is at a premium
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

escomm wrote: We have comparable spectrum availale to AU, however the US has so many more radio users that spectrum is at a premium
Fair enough. I wouldn't have thought the situation would be that bad, with all kinds of licensees half a bee's d**k apart on the same freq, considering how well we get by, even in Sydney and Melbourne which have populations about the same as that of Los Angeles.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now 8)
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

wiscomm wrote:
wavetar wrote:we've already sold a complete portable/mobile/repeater system to a customer. All radio hardware has arrived & we'll be setting it up for them in the next little while.
How do you have this licensed? My guy who handles my licensing gave this response to the question
The biggest concern I have is with the continuous transmit. That just doesn't fit well on "shared" frequencies. I believe this will have to
be licensed under the provisions for "exclusive" use as trunking systems are (FB8 station class). This means that in a given area there are no
other licensees and will be no other licensees. In a heavily populated area it is almost impossible to get those kind of licenses for wide area operation; there are still some possibilities for lower power/height campus type systems. I suppose it would fit well on the 454/459 MHz wide area licenses that were sold at auction.
Just wondering if anyone has any more light on this?

Craig
I think you misunderstand...Just because the repeater is capable of continuous duty, doesn't mean it will be used as such. There are many continuous duty capable repeaters made by many different manufacturers...the licensing doesn't change because they're well-built. Analog or digital, the repeater will only transmit while it's in actual use, not otherwise.

I'm not sure what he means by 'shared' frequencies...a repeater is supposed to have it's own licensed, dedicated pair, nothing 'shared' about it.

Todd

n1das

Post by n1das »

Bob wrote:
Are both $299 on my MOL, so I guess it's covered under the general SLA.
Just found it on my MOL too and I already have a General SLA in place.

I'm currently not in the market for anything yet but doing my homework while *drooling* over the MOTOTRBO info.

Thanks!
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
n1das

Post by n1das »

wavetar wrote: I think you misunderstand...Just because the repeater is capable of continuous duty, doesn't mean it will be used as such. There are many continuous duty capable repeaters made by many different manufacturers...the licensing doesn't change because they're well-built. Analog or digital, the repeater will only transmit while it's in actual use, not otherwise.

I'm not sure what he means by 'shared' frequencies...a repeater is supposed to have it's own licensed, dedicated pair, nothing 'shared' about it.

Todd
The freq pair technically is shared with other licensees in the same licensed radio service which have the same freq pair licensed although they may not be users of the same system. If the frequency coordination has been done properly during the licensing process, then hopefully different systems licensed on the same freq pair will be far enough distant from each other to be able to coexist without problems. I guess that's how it's supposed to work in theory.

We know it CAN transmit continuously, but does a MOTOTRBO repeater NEED to transmit continuously? It kind of reminds me of the control channel in a Moto trunked system which transmits continuously so the individual radios know what to do while on the system.

Does the repeater periodically update or "poll" radios that are used with the repeater? I'm thinking about what sort of handshaking the repeater might need to do with radios on the system. It reminds me of how LTR analog trunked systems update all radios on the system...transmits briefly once every 10 or 11 seconds with update information.

If a MOTOTRBO repeater's transmitter is "always on" in one form or another (continuously transmits or periodically updates/polls), then it potentially COULD make it harder to coexist with other licensees on the same channel pair.

Analog operation - straightforward - functions like a repeater in any other analog conventional system. It transmits only when in use and not otherwise.

Digital operation - ???? - It obviously transmits while in use but what does it do while idle? Does it NEED to transmit to keep all radios updated?

Just my $0.02 FWIW.
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

n1das wrote:We know it CAN transmit continuously, but does a MOTOTRBO repeater NEED to transmit continuously?
No, unless both timeslots are in use with people talking. Otherwise, if nobody's talking or otherwise exchanging traffic, it won't transmit at all, just like any conventional repeater.

It is just a repeater, after all.
n1das wrote:If a MOTOTRBO repeater's transmitter is "always on" in one form or another (continuously transmits or periodically updates/polls), then it potentially COULD make it harder to coexist with other licensees on the same channel pair.
No different to a busy analog repeater.
n1das wrote:Analog operation - straightforward - functions like a repeater in any other analog conventional system. It transmits only when in use and not otherwise.

Digital operation - ???? - It obviously transmits while in use but what does it do while idle? Does it NEED to transmit to keep all radios updated?

Just my $0.02 FWIW.
Transmit to keep what updated? :-?

If you have the infrastructure in place, radios may well be polled periodically for GPS information and the like (exactly like an AVL system operating over an ordinary analog repeater.)

MOTOTRBO is not a trunking system. It's not even all that different to P25, the main difference being that it uses a different access method.
n1das

Post by n1das »

mr.syntrx wrote:
n1das wrote:We know it CAN transmit continuously, but does a MOTOTRBO repeater NEED to transmit continuously?
No, unless both timeslots are in use with people talking. Otherwise, if nobody's talking or otherwise exchanging traffic, it won't transmit at all, just like any conventional repeater.

It is just a repeater, after all.
That's the info I was looking for. Thanks for clearing things up.
David Sterrett
Nashua, NH
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

It's quite feasible that the 'peater will be on a 100% duty cycle if the GPS or text messaging servers are running. Polling a fleet of 50+ vehicles or sending dispatches to delivery drivers could conceivably keep it on very active duty.

That said, I dunno who Wiscomm is going through for licensing, but it would appear to me that they don't know their stuff. Furthermore, I can say from firsthand experience that there are LTR trunking systems using non-exclusive use frequencies (460MHz) and have full licensing from the FCC, which cannot be obtained without frequency coordination....
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

wavetar wrote:We were told today that VHF is going to be available in mid-June.

Well, Motorola acknowledges the problem with the accessory connector. They are apparently working frantically on a fix, as it was an apparent oversight. When something so simple gets missed, it makes me lose faith in the rest of the product. Coming soon to an MSS near you...a firmware upgrade to fix this issue.
Where you able to get Ext PTT to work on the accessory connector at all? I tried today interfacing an XPR-4550 to an IP-223 with no dice on either active high or low. I just opened another GCC in hopes that it will speed the process up a little in case they where dragging their feet a little.
mrwilmoth
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by mrwilmoth »

drool, I want one!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

ve3nsv wrote:

Where you able to get Ext PTT to work on the accessory connector at all? I tried today interfacing an XPR-4550 to an IP-223 with no dice on either active high or low. I just opened another GCC in hopes that it will speed the process up a little in case they where dragging their feet a little.
You know...I can't remember if I tried it...I think it worked as active low for me...darn it, now I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.

Todd

wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

escomm wrote:That said, I dunno who Wiscomm is going through for licensing, but it would appear to me that they don't know their stuff.
Escomm, always the first to bash someone..... I have a bit more faith in my licensing supplier then you. Will offer further details as we continue through this process.

Craig
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

wavetar wrote:
ve3nsv wrote:

You know...I can't remember if I tried it...I think it worked as active low for me...darn it, now I'll have to look at it again tomorrow.

Todd
Ok, no problems with PTT working at all. I believe I might know the problem you're having though...what number pin are you trying to use in the accessory connector? Be aware that even though the CPS shows the PTT as being "pin 1", it's actually "GP5_1", which corresponds to physical pin 17 on the connector.

On another note, I was infomed by tech support there was a firmware update available on MOL now which was supposed to address my issue. Indeed, I was able to download & install it. After successfully updating my mobile to firmware version 1.00.02 (from 1.00.01)...IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!! The saga continues...

Todd
Last edited by wavetar on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

wavetar wrote:
wavetar wrote:
ve3nsv wrote: Where you able to get Ext PTT to work on the accessory connector at all? I tried today interfacing an XPR-4550 to an IP-223 with no dice on either active high or low. I just opened another GCC in hopes that it will speed the process up a little in case they where dragging their feet a little.

Todd
Ok, no problems with PTT working at all. I believe I might know the problem you're having though...what number pin are you trying to use in the accessory connector? Be aware that even though the CPS shows the PTT as being "pin 1", it's actually "GP5_1", which corresponds to physical pin 17 on the connector.

On another note, I was infomed by tech support there was a firmware update available on MOL now which was supposed to address my issue. Indeed, I was able to download & install it. After successfully updating my mobile to firmware version 1.00.02 (from 1.00.01)...IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!! The saga continues...

Todd
Another tech at my work installed the latest firmware and it caused the radio to transmit all the time. We haven't had much time to play since then but I hear there have been a lot of installation issues.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Maybe this is a good system to take the Vista approach with - wait for someone else to find the bugs first 8)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wiscomm wrote:
escomm wrote:That said, I dunno who Wiscomm is going through for licensing, but it would appear to me that they don't know their stuff.
Escomm, always the first to bash someone..... I have a bit more faith in my licensing supplier then you. Will offer further details as we continue through this process.

Craig
Ionno, my 17 frequency pairs passed coordination and the docs are at the FCC now.

Go ahead and spend the 100 to 200 grand an exclusive-use license will cost you if you want, though. :roll:
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Hey, are there any published specs for a serial protocol for the mobile radios for interfacing to MDTs etc, ala MAP27 on MPT1327 systems?
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

One question though,
If it doesn't do LTR trunking, how are they supposed to replace the CDM and HT series outright? Especially when you have a for example an 8 repeater/controller multi-talkgroup, LTR system infastructure thats very expensinve and supports something like a very large casino?
Radio Tech Troubleshooting Golden Rule #1: Check your connections
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

2wayfreq wrote:One question though,
If it doesn't do LTR trunking, how are they supposed to replace the CDM and HT series outright? Especially when you have a for example an 8 repeater/controller multi-talkgroup, LTR system infastructure thats very expensinve and supports something like a very large casino?

Simple, buy kenwoods like they should have done in the 1st place :lol:
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

2wayfreq wrote:One question though,
First off, they are not an outright replacement for the HT/CDM series. As I stated earlier in the thread, they are meant to slot in between the Professional series & the top-tier XTS series. Now, this does not mean they won't eventually do everything the HT/CDM radios do. MotoTRBO is the platform for pretty well all future Motorola products, so you can rest assured there will be trunking versions of these radios. Whether it's 1, 2 or 3 years down the road is the question. In the meantime, the HT/CDM series will continue to be made to serve it's existing market.

Todd

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”