colour codes

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioman1974

colour codes

Post by radioman1974 »

Is there a list of what the relevant Colour codes equate to in ctcss tones?
maelv
What radios do you own?: DP3601

Re: colour codes

Post by maelv »

Hello radioman1974

The term colour code is only in use when the mototrbo product line is in digital mode of operation......
and have the same function as ctcss tones in analog mode of operation...
i hope it helps...

may bee you can explain what you meen ?

Maelv...
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

"Is there a list of what the relevant Colour codes equate to in ctcss tones?"

Let me restate your question:

"Is there a list of what relevant Elephants equate to in potatos?"

There is no meaningful mapping from Color codes to CTCSS tones. They may serve similar roles, but there isn't a mapping from one to the other because analog NBFM systems are not interoperable with MotoTRBO systems.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
radioman1974

Post by radioman1974 »

What i meant was that i own some trbos and if someone was scanning the frequency i was using in digital mode say using a colour code would that not come up as some kind of ctcss tone,as i have seen on many scanning forums in the uk were people have picked up trbo systems in the uk and said yes there using trbo in digi mode using 453.600 151.4. thats were i was coming from,so how are the colours worked out.
maelv
What radios do you own?: DP3601

Post by maelv »

Hello radioman 1974

if someone is scanning your frequency with an analog scanner all the will here is this http://www.hamradio-dv.org/mototrbo/mot ... ecoded.wav

and they will at the moment only bee able to here what you are saying if they have an trbo radio programed to your freq.. an know your caller id/ group id you are using
as there is no scanner available there can decode trbo audio i know off yet...

the colours code is some ones and zeros in the packet header of the data stream the radios transmits... at the same time is transmits what caller id it has has it self and who it needs to talk to... but for more info about it... read the mototrbo system planer

http://www.danimex.com/Files/Billeder/2 ... lanner.pdf

there is alot more info about mototrbo

Maelv...
melv7956
New User

Post by melv7956 »

Don't know what scanning forum you have read this on but if you set any scanner to decode ctcss/dcs it will draw a complete blank on trbo systems.
Mel
radioman1974 wrote:What i meant was that i own some trbos and if someone was scanning the frequency i was using in digital mode say using a colour code would that not come up as some kind of ctcss tone,as i have seen on many scanning forums in the uk were people have picked up trbo systems in the uk and said yes there using trbo in digi mode using 453.600 151.4. thats were i was coming from,so how are the colours worked out.
Ben

Post by Ben »

How many color codes are there?
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

radioman1974 wrote:What i meant was that i own some trbos and if someone was scanning the frequency i was using in digital mode say using a colour code would that not come up as some kind of ctcss tone,as i have seen on many scanning forums in the uk were people have picked up trbo systems in the uk and said yes there using trbo in digi mode using 453.600 151.4. thats were i was coming from,so how are the colours worked out.
I've seen lots of scanners false on digital voice.

The user has put his scanner into CTCSS search mode and the scanner does it's best to pick out a ctcss signal from all the digital noise on the frequency.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nobody knows how many color codes they have?? I was reading a post that said there was thousands of color codes and just wondering how could have that many. They must be numbered and not called a color to have that many.
dtscho
New User

Post by dtscho »

There are sixteen color codes, numbered 0-15. I've never seen anywhere in the software where they are referred to by a "color."

Dave
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks for the answer.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

dtscho wrote:There are sixteen color codes, numbered 0-15. I've never seen anywhere in the software where they are referred to by a "color."

Dave
That term was also used by Ericsson in their old IS-136 systems.

Each digital control channel had it's own color code.

Not sure what the origin is but it definitely goes back quite a few years.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

MikeOxlong wrote:Not sure what the origin is but it definitely goes back quite a few years.
It come by way of cartography.

Look at the old-school maps of the US - the ones used in, well, old schools. Each state was a different color from its neighbors, so that Little Johnny could see the difference between Kansas and Oklahoma.

Now, in any trunked radio system (including cellular telephony, which is just a special case of trunked radio when you get right down to it) you have the issue of making sure that the mobile is able to tell the difference between base sites, and a base site is able to tell whether the mobile is trying to access it or not.

Now, one way is to put all the base site control channels on different frequencies, but that really is very wasteful of the limited number of frequencies available. So, the providers "colored the map" - they assigned a different code value to each site, so that no two adjacent sites would have the same frequency, and no two sites in roughly the same area would have the same code - so even if you were hearing 2 sites with the same frequency, they wouldn't have the same code.

And they called it a "color" code because it served the same role as making Kansas purple and Oklahoma green - to make the difference between sites bloody obvious.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

dtscho wrote:There are sixteen color codes, numbered 0-15. I've never seen anywhere in the software where they are referred to by a "color."

Dave
If there are only 16 color codes, why can't one who wants to monitor some MotoTRBO activity program up a radio with each color code, and find the correct one by trial and error? Are there some other parameters that have to match, like a talkgroup?

I seem to remember a post or two on here about how there is no 'monitor button' on the TRBO radios. Is that correct?
melv7956
New User

Post by melv7956 »

Yes you need to know the group id number also to monitor the users which could be absolutely any number. Monitor button is for analog use only.

Dave[/quote]

If there are only 16 color codes, why can't one who wants to monitor some MotoTRBO activity program up a radio with each color code, and find the correct one by trial and error? Are there some other parameters that have to match, like a talkgroup?

I seem to remember a post or two on here about how there is no 'monitor button' on the TRBO radios. Is that correct?[/quote]
Ben

Post by Ben »

I heard that somewhere oversea they make a monitor that will pick up trbo but I don't remember where it was. Was told it was high dollar

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”