How to build program cable?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tetra2000
New User

How to build program cable?

Post by tetra2000 »

i want to build a XPR6500 program cable, i have a microphone cable with full 12pins. I think XPR6500 program cable is a USB cable.
Is it only connect 4pins by USB standard?
Any infomation is helpful, thanks alot.
GAVIN.
dsheli

Re: How to build program cable?

Post by dsheli »

Tetra,
I to will be building a USB programing cable for the XPR portable. I think it will be really easy as the cable I payed 85 dollars for that programs my XPR 4550 is extremely strait forward. I will try and post a tutorial in about 4 weeks.
David
dsheli

Post by dsheli »

Does anyone know if there are any electronics in the OEM motorola programing cables for the XPR or if that "lump" is a ferrite core. The reason why I am asking is because I would like to know if I could build a programing cable myself.
Thanks,
David
eurecomx

Post by eurecomx »

test this one, for Mototrbo, is wires only.
eulalio

trentininelmondo
eurecomx

Post by eurecomx »

one more for test:
trentininelmondo
Johnno
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTL2.5K,XTS2.5k, P25 stuff....

Post by Johnno »

Hi,
Has any progress been made on a homebrew cable?
It seems the uploaded images don't work.

John
Forts

Post by Forts »

Did anyone have any success with the cable posted above?

Update: I can confirm the cable shown above for the mobiles does indeed work. Thanks!!
w5gm

Post by w5gm »

The lump on the portable cable IS NOT ferrite.. It contains electronics. What? I have no idea...
Forts

Post by Forts »

Has anyone tried building a homebrew cable for the portables? The one above works great on the mobile radios but it sounds like the portable cable is more complicated. Hate to drop $100 on a cable if I can build one myself with a spare USB cable.
gopher

Post by gopher »

i bought the 100 dollar cable, check the pinpout and made a diagram. theres no electronics involved. no seeing an option to attach to the post so here is the link
http://kd8eyf.org/images/mototrbo.PNG
Forts

Post by Forts »

Thanks for posting that! I broke down and bought a cable too (it hasn't arrived yet though). If it is a simple straight thru cable (like the mobile uses) then I will just resell the OEM cable and recoup my $$. Although it might be tricky to make a connector for the side of the radio.
Forts

Post by Forts »

gopher wrote:i bought the 100 dollar cable, check the pinpout and made a diagram. theres no electronics involved. no seeing an option to attach to the post so here is the link
http://kd8eyf.org/images/mototrbo.PNG
My cable for the portables arrived today and I too can confirm it's just a straight thru cable, just like the mobiles. Now to figure out how to hombrew a connector to attach to the side of the radio.
gopher

Post by gopher »

i noticed today that if i install the cable onto the radio without plugging it in, the radio recognizes the cable as a accessory. Therefore there must be more to it.
eurecomx

Post by eurecomx »

both are right ...
trentininelmondo
Forts

Post by Forts »

Would anyone know where I could buy the accessory plug shown in the picture above for the mobile cable?
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

Has anyone had success building a cable for the portable Trbo radios? I have tried the simple usb cable posted above with out success. Can someone with a cable take a closer look? does it have all 12 of the pins populated? looking at some fuzzy pictures online some of them appear to only have the first 6 pins populated. If it appears as an accessory without plugging it into the computer maybe there is a simple resistor that makes the cable recognizable.It would be helpful If anyone with a cable could take a look or even put a meter across the pins to get a better idea of what is going on.
Forts

Post by Forts »

fixanythingman72 wrote:Has anyone had success building a cable for the portable Trbo radios? I have tried the simple usb cable posted above with out success. Can someone with a cable take a closer look? does it have all 12 of the pins populated? looking at some fuzzy pictures online some of them appear to only have the first 6 pins populated. If it appears as an accessory without plugging it into the computer maybe there is a simple resistor that makes the cable recognizable.It would be helpful If anyone with a cable could take a look or even put a meter across the pins to get a better idea of what is going on.
I just threw a meter on mine... Everything above jives with the exception of the ground point. The ground on my USB plug is coming from the circular ring above the connection pads... shown above as the Coaxial RF Connector.
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

Thank you Forts,
I may have to break down and buy the cable. Did you happen to notice if there are any other pins on the radio side of the cable?
Forts

Post by Forts »

Has anyone had success building a cable for portables? I've been trying to make one up for a friend... got an accessory connector for the side of the radio and have tried using the 4 pins suggested above with no success. I've found if I move ground to pin 1 I get the tones from the radio that you would normally get when an accessory is added or removed. The pc however still doesn't see the radio. When making cables for mobiles it's dead simple, but there is obviously something different on the portables. I have an OEM Motorola cable as well that I have metered out (didn't learn anything from that) and I'm not about to go hacking it apart to see what's in side.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

There is something going on with the PMKN4012B program cable. PMKN4012A will not permit an XPR6100 to be seen by the computer. PMKN4012B works like a champ. Some food for thought for the cable builders here.
gopher

Post by gopher »

any luck with this? its all one 2 one correlated with a contunity tester. never made one and tested though
SD70MAC

Post by SD70MAC »

eurecomx wrote:test this one, for Mototrbo, is wires only.
eulalio

What pin on the Mobile does the USB pin 1 (+5 vots) go to,I just want to be sure.
Last edited by SD70MAC on Sun May 13, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SD70MAC out

My collection;
XTS5000 VHF FPP,XTS3000 VHF M1&M3,XTVA,XTS2500 UHF Q FPP,Astro Spectra"s W3 VHF,W9 VHF,W7 800,HT1250 35-50,XPR4500 Q,2 CDM1550LS+ VHF 160ch,CDM1550 X 160ch VHF 25w,MAXTRAC 42-50 32ch,CDM1250 42-54
Forts

Post by Forts »

Pin #3. VBUS.
SD70MAC

Post by SD70MAC »

That's what I thought, I just didn't want to feed voltage to the wrong place.
Thanks
SD70MAC out

My collection;
XTS5000 VHF FPP,XTS3000 VHF M1&M3,XTVA,XTS2500 UHF Q FPP,Astro Spectra"s W3 VHF,W9 VHF,W7 800,HT1250 35-50,XPR4500 Q,2 CDM1550LS+ VHF 160ch,CDM1550 X 160ch VHF 25w,MAXTRAC 42-50 32ch,CDM1250 42-54

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”