Base Station Identifications (BSI)

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jonathan KC8RYW

Base Station Identifications (BSI)

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

I just got done looking at the MOTOTRBO System Planners PDF.

The thing that I found most interesting is no one at Motorola implemented base station ID into the data sent by the repeater.

The repeater has to drop into analog mode to send the ID as MCW, therefore taking down communications from the subscriber units.

Didn't anyone put the forethought into their data sent over the air, in a packet that the FCC or IC agrees with?

Or, perhaps, the reason is that in doing so, it would require Motorola to release their proprietary data, something they hate worse than death.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Batboard $upporter

Re: Base Station Identifications (BSI)

Post by 515 »

I think the morse ID can be overridden by voice or data traffic. At least that's how it works with the Quantar. If someone tries to talk through the repeater while the morse ID is being sent, the ID gets cut off, and only the voice or data is heard. A few seconds after the user's transmission ends, the repeater tries to send the morse ID again. If the repeater is really busy, it may have to make several attempts before it can send the full ID.
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I once heard a TURDBO repeater perform a CWID and it was immediately followed by (or walked on by) an analog voice conversation that continued in analog until the squelch tail dropped, then it went back to digital mode.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

I am pretty sure the FCC rules define identification in plain voice or by Morse Code.....
d119

Post by d119 »

com501 wrote:I am pretty sure the FCC rules define identification in plain voice or by Morse Code.....
That is correct. Things are this way so that the FCC does not need special equipment just to determine what the callsign is.
Granted most repeaters don't even ID, but the rules do state plain voice or CW.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”