Ip Site connect Help

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

Ip Site connect Help

Post by FMROB »

Hello all,

Being partially computer/IP iliterate... Can some one guide me through setting up an IP site connect system.

Here is what I have.
Two repeaters up and running and two different locations. Both repeaters are connected to linksys routers to cable modems. The static IP address location is set up as the master.

I am a bit lost with filling in the IP address. I have the Masters IP adress plugged into the master repeater and the peer and no luck connecting. I dont understand the difference between the master IP and the gatway IP?

Any insight. Thanks Rob.
Bill_G

Re: Ip Site connect Help

Post by Bill_G »

I haven't played with site connect yet. Can't give you specifics on setting up the Trbo. But, you should read up on some basic networking to help clear things up for you. Unless Trbo does things differently, and lord knows MOT likes to do it their way, a gateway is the local router. In your case probably the cable modem. Once you declare a gateway, a device will only send packets to that address. That address must know what to do after that. So, the first thing you need to do is determine if your two cable modems can see each other by pinging them from both ends. BTW - did the cable company give you static ip addys, or did you choose them yourself? You need to be addressed within the subnet assigned by the cable service with a route between the two end points, or be behind the NAT of the cable modem with a static route to the other end.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Bill,

More specifically, in the network programing screen they metion the folowing parameters:

Master IP
Master UDP Port
Ethernet IP
Gateway IP
Gateway Subnet
IP Site UDP Port

Iwould like to know what the Master, ethernet, and Gateway IP's equate to. And do the Master UDP port and IP Site UDP port be the same or different?

Thanks, Rob
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Interesting. I wonder if the Trbo group publishes a config and system design manual like Canopy group does. Certainly would be helpful.

I would think the master and the ethernet ip are the same. I'd need to see their definitions. I'm certain the gateway is what is normally defined as a gateway. It will be the local routing device. Whether it is an actual router or just your cable modem is determined by the system design. The gateway subnet will be determined by whomever assigns the static ip addys of the endpoints. It could be the common 255.255.255.000, or it could a reduced subnet like 255.255.255.248. Subnets are a whole discussion in themselves. The udp ports will be assigned by the system designer as well. I suspect they will be unique to each site with numbers like 1221, 1222, etc, though they can be the same since each device will have it's own unique ip addy. I would need to see the definition. One site's transmit will be another site's receive across the network. So the udp port numbers could be the same at all sites.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Do you have MOL access?You should be able to download the latest version of the MotoTRBO system planner, which explains things in great detail.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”