PTT ID possible on Trbo?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

zs6hz

PTT ID possible on Trbo?

Post by zs6hz »

Hi,

I have a Mototrbo system up and running and it's working extremely well. The only problem is that my client would like an alphanumeric ID of each DP-3400 portable radio to show up on the DM-3600 base station as it PTT's.

Surely this is an easy enough thing to do, but according to the Motorola distributors here, they can only do numeric ID's?

Any ideas?
Safari N'jema - Hamba Kahle
alex
Administrator

Re: PTT ID possible on Trbo?

Post by alex »

First: You must have radios with a alphanumeric display
Second: Each radio must have a unique ID number.

From here -

Edit the contact list in the radio to have an ID number and Name for each ID number assigned in the system. When that user keys up it will show on the display with the name you programmed in to the radio from ID. If you add more radios you will need to go back and touch each subscriber unit to update the contact list with the new radio. Currently there is no "soft ID" or alias which is transmitted along with the ID of the radio like in the Astro world.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
zs6hz

Post by zs6hz »

Thanks for the info Alex. We'll get a hold of an alphanumeric display model and start playing around.

BTW, we are comparing our Trbo system against a competitor's Icom IDAS system, and the Trbo consistently provides more intelligible audio, and at 25 Watts outperforms the Icom repeater at 50Watts.

The MOST incredible feature of the Trbo radios is the immunity against ambient noise. One of my customers have been using the Trbo portables while working on enormous Caterpillar generators at full speed, and the radio COMPLETELY cuts out the sound of the generator and still passes great voice audio. Our customers in night clubs have reported the same results in high-noise environments.
Safari N'jema - Hamba Kahle
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

zs6hz wrote:Thanks for the info Alex. We'll get a hold of an alphanumeric display model and start playing around.

BTW, we are comparing our Trbo system against a competitor's Icom IDAS system, and the Trbo consistently provides more intelligible audio, and at 25 Watts outperforms the Icom repeater at 50Watts.
That has been pretty consistent with reports that with firmware 1.7 that users are noticing some extended range if the repeater and portable/mobile are loaded with the same firmware version. If you have not upgraded your portables you should look in to making the jump to this firmware revision. Your Motorola dealer or if you have a CPS subscription should allow you to download the firmware and upgrade the radios.
The MOST incredible feature of the Trbo radios is the immunity against ambient noise. One of my customers have been using the Trbo portables while working on enormous Caterpillar generators at full speed, and the radio COMPLETELY cuts out the sound of the generator and still passes great voice audio. Our customers in night clubs have reported the same results in high-noise environments.
Yeah, I've found them to be very impressive with their audio quality over P25. There is an audio file floating around on one of the trbo networks websites of a QSO between someone in a helicopter using a speaker mic and someone on the ground. You do not even know the guy is in a Helicopter until he mentions it. You can't even hear the noise.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
JRayfield

Post by JRayfield »

I've got that 'helicopter audio' on my website, as well as some other audio files of background audio tests that we've done with TRBO.

http://rayfield.net/MotoTRBO-Sound-Tests

John Rayfield, Jr. - CETma
Rayfield Communications
Springfield, MO
www.rayfield.net
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

JRayfield,
I am very impressed with those tests. They are required read (listening) for all of my new sales people. FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
a_j_b
What radios do you own?: HT1550XLS, CDM1550LS+, MTS2000

Post by a_j_b »

zs6hz wrote:Thanks for the info Alex. We'll get a hold of an alphanumeric display model and start playing around.

Icom had some tuning problems with their first run of NXDN radios. Subsequently they made huge improvements to the NXDN signal stability in later firmware revisions and also to production line testing. We took a set of demos we had that didn't do very well and upgraded the firmware to latest (which also made them multi-site trunking capable). Then we retuned them using Icom's analog tuning procedure in the manual which tunes NXDN via the DCS square wave (this is not Icom's preferred method, but we don't have an AeroFlex 3920...anymore). After we did those things, I saw the Icom radios blow trbo out of the water on TX and RX performance. Oh and don't forget to do the repeaters too... that REALLY helped the field units do better.

According to Icom, when using a digital test set, the radio needs to have an FSK error (not the BER) of < 5% and < 1% is possible with tuning on a digital test set. They say a new radio from Japan today with new firmware will be good to go but for what is in the field now using the DCS tuning on an analog test set can get you to about 2% FSK error which is very acceptable.
Public Safety & LMR RF Systems Engineer
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

JRayfield wrote:I've got that 'helicopter audio' on my website, as well as some other audio files of background audio tests that we've done with TRBO.

http://rayfield.net/MotoTRBO-Sound-Tests

John Rayfield, Jr. - CETma
John is the wc-test3 testing for the new Christian county system?
Aussiemoto
New User

Post by Aussiemoto »

Cam wrote:John is the wc-test3 testing for the new Christian county system?
Christian County hasn't flipped the switch to digital yet, the infrastructure for the remote sites hasn't been installed as yet.
They're still running analog but there have been numerous comments about the sound quality of the TRBO units even in analog mode over the older gear they were running.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Aussiemoto wrote: .....there have been numerous comments about the sound quality of the TRBO units even in analog mode over the older gear they were running.
Good or bad?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

the TRBO sound great in analog from what i have heard
Aussiemoto
New User

Post by Aussiemoto »

RFguy wrote:
Aussiemoto wrote: .....there have been numerous comments about the sound quality of the TRBO units even in analog mode over the older gear they were running.
Good or bad?
KitN1MCC wrote:the TRBO sound great in analog from what i have heard
Correct, good comments regarding the new radios.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

the mobiles have amazing vol but the display radio it s little too quite for me maybe due to the speaker location

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”