IPSC performing better than conventional?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

trbouser
New User

IPSC performing better than conventional?

Post by trbouser »

Late last week we took a conventional MotoTrbo system and switched from Dynamic Mixed Mode to IP Site Connect. For reasons I cannot explain, the repeater is now accessible in fringe areas where there was previously no coverage. Using XPR6550s, we're able to not only bring up the repeater but have a perfectly understandable conversation when the portable reports one or zero bars on the RSSI. I'm wondering why this is? What's different between digital conventional and digital IPSC that would cause such a thing? Maybe the beacons are enabling the portables to clock up with the repeater where they couldn't before?
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Re: IPSC performing better than conventional?

Post by The Pager Geek »

Did you do a firmware upgrade recently?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
trbouser
New User

Post by trbouser »

The Pager Geek wrote:Did you do a firmware upgrade recently?

tpg
Ahhhh. Yes, an upgrade to 1.07 was done on the repeater and subscriber units at the same time. I will need to re-read the release notes and see what may be the cause. It's intellectual curiosity more than anything else at this point; no one is complaining about the system working better in the marginal / fringe areas. :) Thanks for the idea Pager Geek.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

I recall them doing a modification to the BER calculations in one of the releases that improved coverage in fringe areas... so it makes sense.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Any idea what version firmare the repeater and subscribers were at before the upgrade?
trbouser
New User

Post by trbouser »

RFguy wrote:Any idea what version firmare the repeater and subscribers were at before the upgrade?
The repeater required the intermediate 1.06 upgrade. I believe than means it was 1.02. For the subscribers, they were fielded in phases, so any firmware Mot shipped between Jan 2010 and last month is possible.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”