XPR8400 Released...

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

XPR8400 Released...

Post by escomm »

Q: Why is the XPR8400 being introduced?
A: The XPR8300 only has 8MB of internal memory. It’s becoming filled to capacity with the firmware to
support all of the advanced MOTOTRBO features like IP Site Connect, Capacity Plus, Dynamic Mixed
mode, Enhanced GPS and the upcoming Digital Telephone Interconnect. The XPR8400 has 32MB of
internal memory, which will provide expanded capacity for future digital feature development. Also,
some of the components used in the XPR8300 are being discontinued by the material suppliers, so the
repeater board needs to be redesigned with new ones, to insure their future availability.
Q: Why is the XPR8300 name changing to XPR8400?
A: Changing the name of the repeater will allow it to be easily distinguished, which in turn helps with
better recognizing which of the equipment available onsite will support the various software features.
Normally, hardware changes are implemented via TANAPA up-revisions especially when the new
hardware does not offer any new capabilities. For example, the MOTOTRBO VHF and UHF mobiles were
redesigned with the 32MB memory and the up-revisioned TANAPA was introduced in late 2010, but the
new hardware does not offer any new features, so a model name change was not necessary. In
contrast, the 32MB memory of the MOTOTRBO XPR8400 repeaters is required for the IP Repeater
programming functionality introduced with the R01.07.00 firmware in November 2010, so a model
change was necessary.
Q: What new features will the XPR8400 support, which are not available for the XPR8300?
A: IP Repeater Programming (enabled via license HKVN4047A) allows a technician to remotely connect
to an XPR8400 (or XPR8380) via an IP internet connection from the MOTOTRBO CPS. A technician can
remotely perform ALL functions that can be done via a USB cable locally: Read, Change, Write, Upgrade,
Activate Features (it does NOT support: Clone or Recover, to prevent from losing connection to the
repeater if the codeplug is incorrectly changed or restored to default settings ). The RDAC TX Power
Alarm (power output fallen below 50% of configured level), and VSWR Alarm (Voltage Standing Wave
Ratio at the antenna port is above 6:1) also require the redesigned XPR8400 hardware.
Q: Are the specs on the XPR8400 different from the XPR8300?
A: No, the specs on the XPR8400 are the same as the XPR8300. The internal memory increase from 8MB
to 32MB, hardware to support the TX Power and VSWR RDAC Alarms, Main Fan speed regulation switch
on the Connector Board (Full versus Temperature controlled) and Ethernet LED’s are the only new
hardware enhancements, but they are not captured on spec sheets.
Q: Will the XPR8300 be cancelled once the XPR8400 is introduced?
A: Yes, but not immediately. The XPR8300 will be cancelled at the end of March 2011, because the
factory is running out of parts to support them.

http://jeffcomm.com/XXPR8400_FAQ.PDF
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XPR8400 Released...

Post by escomm »

Q: How long will the XPR8300 be service supported after its cancellation?
A: Enough parts have been provisioned to provide for 5 years of service support on the XPR8300.
Q: What will happen if Motorola runs out of parts before the 5 year support period ends?
A: Motorola will begin using the redesigned repeater boards from the XPR8400 for complete board
replacements.
Q: Will an upgrade kit be made available to convert an XPR8300 to an XPR8400?
A: No, however Motorola will offer the service to upgrade an XPR8300 to an XPR8400 through the El
Paso repair depot. It’s important to note that an upgrade would require for the TX Brick, RX Brick,
Repeater Board, Connector Board, and front face plate in the repeater to be changed, so the only things
that remain from the old repeater are the metal housing, power supply and main fan. It is expected that
the upgrade service will cost between $1000 - $1200, so it may be more advantageous to purchase a
new XPR8400 with a 2 year warranty than spend the money on upgrading an old XPR8300 and only
receive a 90 day workmanship guarantee.
Q: I received a new XPR8400 and when I power it on, the fan is blasting at Full Speed at all times. Is
my unit defective?
A: No, as described in the MOTOTRBO Repeater Installation Guide 6816814H01-J (see notes of section
1.2 Environmental Conditions at Intended Installation Site): “The XPR 8400 32 MB repeaters
manufactured after October 2010 will have a default setting of full speed for the main fan. However, the
dealer will have an option to change the setting to variable speed through an on-board switch on the
connector board assembly. The variable speed behavior is as follows: The fan will idle low and be held
constant from 10 °C to 30 °C. Between 30 °C and 45 °C, the fan will increase in speed and reach full
speed at 46 °C.”
Motorola recommends leaving the repeater at the factory default setting of Full Speed, to insure
optimal cooling of the repeater’s internal RF power amplifier. However, for installation where power
saving is required (e.g. battery operated repeaters at remote sites with low radio traffic), a fan speed
regulation switch position can be moved from Full Speed (F) to Temperature Regulated (N).

Q: Why is the price of the XPR8400 higher than the XPR8300?

A: The design of the XPR8400 is similar to the XPR8380 800/900MHz repeater and so is its cost;
therefore the price of the XPR8400 is aligned closer to the price of the XPR8380 as well.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

Will the 8400 have an upgraded PA so that it is reliable and meets the bugus 100% duty cycle stated on the 8300?
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I suspect that the default of running the fan constantly on the XPR8300/8400 would have something to do with this issue.

I think the MTR3000 is the way to go for a constant duty transmitter.

As far as the XPR8300, I would not run it much past 50% if you are looking for constant duty. Just my opinion.
FatBoy

Post by FatBoy »

I concur on the duty cycle issue. We are having a bunch of the 8300's come back for bad PAs (thermal issue related to duty cycle, clogged vents, and high room temps where the repeater is housed). Not one MTR3000 has come back yet (excluding weird firmware or physical damage). XPR for low use customers and MTR for 50% or higher duty cycle customers here..................FB
......I understand what the package says sir, but you cannot talk 28 miles with 3 AA batteries.......
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

There's a thread on the MTUSA list that the XPR8300 Rev. A and B models are 8MB, and the Rev. C have the 32MB, with the same (mostly) firmware that's in the XPR8400.

Repeaters are becoming more like computers, and need a controlled environment to work best in. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially on mountaintops where there's commercial power, but it might cause problems where solar/wind and batteries are used.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

They probably got tired of seeing Trbo repeaters back at the factory with the speed control wire cut on the fan assembly..... :lol:

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”