Trbo voice privacy and Hytera

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Trbo voice privacy and Hytera

Post by Tony Soprano »

All-
Sorry for using the H-word here. I am trying to find out if the Trbo voice privacy function is compatible with the one that the Hytera DMR radios use. Does it matter Basic or Enhanced? I don't have a Hytera to play with and am trying to put typical Motorola "hooks" in the systems to keep them off.

Thanks!
mr.syntrx

Re: Trbo voice privacy and Hytera

Post by mr.syntrx »

你好!

Hytera's sales propoganda talks about some sort of 128 bit privacy option - that's definitely not compatible with either of Motorola's.

No idea if they do Basic (255 choices of a 16-bit key that's probably just XORed) or Enhanced (40-bit RC4; same as ADP on ASTRO systems) also though. Both of these are /\/\ proprietary, they don't appear in the DMR specs.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

您好自己

The Hytera does AES, both 128 and 256. I understand they have no option that's compatible with Motorola's DMR privacy mode.

你付出你的钱,你的选择!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

孔子說,他站在廁所,高鍋
Tony Soprano
Batboard $upporter

Post by Tony Soprano »

Thanks, a good second look at my System Planner revealed as much but I wanted to be sure!
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

I know this is going to sound stupid, and you will hate me.... BUT the Hytera gear is far superior than the Mototrbo at this point. Trbo has alot more third party options, but for voice operation it wors well and at half the cost. The two encryption types are not compatible.

As a note, I own and operate a large trbo network.. It is just simply my two cents.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

FMROB wrote:I know this is going to sound stupid, and you will hate me.... BUT the Hytera gear is far superior than the Mototrbo at this point. Trbo has alot more third party options, but for voice operation it wors well and at half the cost. The two encryption types are not compatible.

As a note, I own and operate a large trbo network.. It is just simply my two cents.
Hytera gear is far superior to Motorola's because it's half the cost? Are there any other compelling factors than the cost?

FWIW I'm told Hytera hired out most of Motorola's chinese engineers after TRBO was done being engineered.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

To be honest, price would be my main factor. Secondly, I likled the audio processing and sound of the radio much better than the trbo stuff. The full color display and feel of the radio was not bad either. At current pace, Hytera is about a year ahead of MotoTrbo in subscriber comfort features, and their multi site trunking actually works and can be purchased and installed fully redundant. However, the big lacking negative is the limited third party solutions. I am certain that in time whatever is built for Trbo will bo for standard DMRIII trunking as well.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”