AES help

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BurnCe
What radios do you own?: APX7000 APX4000 XTS2500

AES help

Post by BurnCe »

Hey guy I was just wondering what the current method for loading an AES hardware key.
I have a KVL3000 witch I have used it to load DES into XTS3000
Can I use my 3000 with a flash or purchase something new

Thanks
-Max
tvsjr

Re: AES help

Post by tvsjr »

The 3000 isn't flashportable and does not support AES. You would need a KVL3000+ or KVL4000 with AES flashed in.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

tvsjr wrote:The 3000 isn't flashportable and does not support AES. You would need a KVL3000+ or KVL4000 with AES flashed in.
The KVL3000 most certainly is flashportable. You use PCMCIA cards to add other algorithms (DES, DVP, DVI) and modes (ASN, ASTRO25) to the keyloader. While it is true it doesn't support AES, it most certainly is upgradable.
K8TEK::Tim
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

K8TEK wrote:
tvsjr wrote:The 3000 isn't flashportable and does not support AES. You would need a KVL3000+ or KVL4000 with AES flashed in.
The KVL3000 most certainly is flashportable. You use PCMCIA cards to add other algorithms (DES, DVP, DVI) and modes (ASN, ASTRO25) to the keyloader. While it is true it doesn't support AES, it most certainly is upgradable.
Yeah and it isn't cheap to do it either....be sure to hold onto your wallet.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

and KVL3000 upgrades were DISCO'd a LOOOONG time ago.

those upgrades went the way of the DODO as soon as the KVL3000+ came out.... "planned obsolescence"

no firmware or algo adds are available. period.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yeah, perhaps I should've stated that more clearly as "you can't flashport a KVL3K because the upgrades are gone". Easy on the pedantry, Tim.

I wonder how long it will be until the 3K+ upgrades are DCed, since the 4K is now out...
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

i dunno terry... there are a :o TON of 3k+'s in use today... many more than the 3k.

when the 3k came out... all it had over a T3011DX was the ability to load multi-algos.... so very few people upgraded their T3011's.

AES changed that game though... mainly due to that and CKR vice PID key storage....

the 3k+ is still an orderable item... so i would think it has 3-5 years minimum of upgrades remaining.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Some of Moto's tactics of late have made me a bit more cynical than I was previously! It'll be interesting to see what happens once they get the bugs out of the KVL4000s (total hunks of junk, at least in current form)...
kt2728

Post by kt2728 »

the 3k+ upgrades are still available, just ordered DVP-xL and ADP for mine. Of course like everything else from mother motorola they are not cheap.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”