Control APX by smart phone

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jiang
New User

Control APX by smart phone

Post by jiang »

Recently I wrote a program running on android(2.3.4) smart phone. It allows smart phone to control APX(7000/7500), such as switch channel, make call, send call alert...totally some basic functionalities can be done. It even can run on tablet PC with bigger touch screen, just need to connect radio with smart device via usb cable. I am android fans, I find it interesting to control radio like this. But I am not a radio user, I just use 7000/7500 occasionally, I even am not familar with how to use them. My question is do you think the application program is helpful to real radio user?
Batwings21

Re: Control APX by smart phone

Post by Batwings21 »

I would be interested in more details as to what you have coded up. As far as to a radio user I don't see the application for a portable other than the neat factor, but with a mobile radio I could see and advantage to integrating controls into a MDT/tablet in the vehicle.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

How are the commands being sent and interpreted by the radio? Have you reversed engineered SB9600 or something?
jiang
New User

Post by jiang »

It exactly can work like control head in the vehicle. Android (2.3.4+ or 3.0+) can support usb host this is why smart phone manufacturers announce phone is able to access usb disk/camera, but they never metioned phone is able to access network device by usb(usb over ethernet that's the way Windows access radio by usb) . Fortunately, Tiamat XOOM rom made this happen (http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/motorola-xoom/ ,go the page and find keyword "ethernet"). But it's not ready for all. When you connect APX and tablet PC by usb, nothing will happen, android OS won't identify APX. So, need to add some code to help android find APX and establish ethernet connection over usb.Once connection established,the application sends xcmp(protocol that motorola provides for 3rd party developer to access radio) command to APX and receives response.
I don't know more about radio usage and what different experiences visual button will bring compared with physical button/knob, even I am not sure user will accept the way:-)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Very cool, nice work. I will look forward to more replies in this thread
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

One practical application would be to extend system coverage within a building for an individual. If this Droid app passes audio as well as control, then the APX (or preferably a base station) could be mounted in a good coverage area (like the roof) with an adapter to the building network. The droid could roam the building connected by wifi using the app to monitor traffic. One to one association would make expansion for a large organization impossible, but it might be appealing to a person at home, or small office.
jiang319
New User

Post by jiang319 »

Bill_G wrote:One practical application would be to extend system coverage within a building for an individual. If this Droid app passes audio as well as control, then the APX (or preferably a base station) could be mounted in a good coverage area (like the roof) with an adapter to the building network. The droid could roam the building connected by wifi using the app to monitor traffic. One to one association would make expansion for a large organization impossible, but it might be appealing to a person at home, or small office.
Sounds cool, make use of a smart device as wifi adpater to link radio network with ip ethernet. But this has to reduce system reliability(i.e. unendurable delay ) because of ip data package. This might not be a big problem to a small LAN in small office,even person can share one radio.
It's possible for droid app to exchange audio with APX by bluetooth, but it's hard,for consideration of security, motorola won't like to see this on APX:-(
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

Good work.

Now in the name of 4chan.....

Pics or didnt happen.

Just kidding _ however there could be commetcial applications for your work....

Doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
ki4gyw

Post by ki4gyw »

I've managed to get the MotoTRBO talking to the Tiamat XOOM ROM with the USB Host adapter . Had to set some of the routing and stuff such as bring up the usb0 interface. I don't have a APX to test with, I think the APX is more modified RNDIS type driver than the trbo. I've working on Linux and Trbo Integration type stuff.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”