Astro spectra to astro spectra plus

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NHfirefighter

Astro spectra to astro spectra plus

Post by NHfirefighter »

Hi All, need some advice from the experts here. I have a VHF Astro Spectra with a W4 control head. I hear all I need to do to make this an Astro Spectra Plus is change out the Vocon. I have access to an AS+ 800mhz with a W5 head. Would I be able to take the vocon out of one of these and put it in my VHF AS to make it a plus? Also, if this does work I assume I would have to change my control head out to a W5 to match the new vocon. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
d119

Re: Astro spectra to astro spectra plus

Post by d119 »

The VOCON would need to be told that it's now in a VHF radio, and with the ASTRO Spectra Plus being a part of the ASTRO25 line, this is much easier said than done. The tools used to change bands on ASTRO Spectra VOCON's are not the same as those for the ASTRO Spectra Plus. I think you are going to find this is going to be a pretty big headache...
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes it is possible with the right tools. VHF Astro + was only ever made in the 146-174 split however, not the low split VHF just FYI. You need the proper tools and know how to do it. You would not need to change your control head since the tools would allow it to be W4.

A complete tuning would be in order as well.

Jason
Last edited by jmr061 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added tuning statement
NHfirefighter

Post by NHfirefighter »

Thanks for the info everyone. What tools/software is required? I assume the tuner app in the CPS is probably not the tunner I would need for the vocon.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Not sure what tools are all out there but I am sure depot would do it.

Jason
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

If I remember there is an actual Motorola upgrade document that says what you need to do in order to do an Astro Spectra to Astro Spectra Plus kit. I don't know the part number for it but I think I recall there were a couple of minor hardware mods that needed to be completed to the controller in the radio. This doesn't mean the radio won't work if you don't do them but I don't remember it being as straight forward as pull out a board and throw another one in.

Motorola did make AS+ upgrade kits as an actual item so there is a process for it.

Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Actually I am reading over the upgrade manual right now. You just replace the vocon and the secure module if need be (the astro spectra secure module does not work in the astro spectra plus). No modifcations are needed.

Of course if you get the kit you get a legit upgrade to astro spectra plus. Stealing a plus vocon from another unit requires hacking.

I should clarify on the secure module. If the astro spectra has a UCM it can be flash upgraded with a kit to be made a astro spectra plus module.

Jason

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”