tdma

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

adcockfred
New User
What radios do you own?: 197 tk3173 51sl apx7000

tdma

Post by adcockfred »

these folks down here in houston are having a hard time with this deadline . talked to my hfd guy last night and he said he was carring the 4k for about a week and found the coverage bad . they gave him back the old 5k . all the tac units carring the 7k . the local dealer is mad because he said motorola funding the whole mess.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: tdma

Post by wavetar »

So...do you have a question? What deadline are you referring to? What mess are you talking about? How is Motorola funding it?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Houston FD recently switched over from their venerable UHF conventional system to a new Moto X2 TDMA system. Eventually HPD will move as well, and this system will become a true Phase 2 system. I haven't been down that way lately (Otaku will comment, I'm sure) but I suspect they have UHF and 700 patched together. As you would expect, moving a big department over to a brand new system, there have been some teething issues.

I don't know about Motorola "funding" anything... Houston obviously contracted directly with Motorola for $HOLYCRAP dollars to build and deploy this system - maybe that's the complaint?
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

adcockfred wrote:these folks down here in houston are having a hard time with this deadline . talked to my hfd guy last night and he said he was carring the 4k for about a week and found the coverage bad . they gave him back the old 5k . all the tac units carring the 7k . the local dealer is mad because he said motorola funding the whole mess.
I assume you're talking about XTS4000's & XTS5000's? Since when do ASTRO 25 radios do TDMA (or X2)??

Andrew
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

APX4000, APX 7000. The XTS5000s are used on the conventional UHF system. You are correct - only APX family supports P2/X2.
adcockfred
New User

Post by adcockfred »

yeah it is quite a mess alright. the orginal houston 800 truncking system from back in the 80 's was what the harris county sheriff's went to. 2 years back in the summer was a start of this up heavel. voice is still iffy. with those young female dispatchers by the time you hear them they have finished talking . and that system is still bad even after the rebanding. but holding the channel is better. anb it is still analogue. so as the story goes when they moved the central tower from the west side of town to downtown. ericson wanted to increase the rent on that tower to the county . up from 18k a month. the county balked . so ericson cut off the out lying county radios . then they moved the central tower up to north belt , put it on a 75 mile radius so it would reach the coast. well that that lasted a couple weeks . then moved it back down town. then came the guessner tower cutting off the tomball tower and the wallaceville tower cutting off the huffman tower. i think the 700 digital system moved with this 800 system not real sure you will have to tell me but i do know the tdma towers of which there are 4 are close the the 800 towers out on the 4 corners but no central tower which would explain the holes my hfd captian was talking about . but that is on the hpd tdma. the hfd tdma system is on the down town tower on a 30 mile range . maybe the hfd was on the hpd tbma system . i did entercept car to car simplex tdma with tac the other night .they were carrying 7k . scrambled on 453.55 he said they would get the short antenna s later .so you know what that means.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

HFD was on the 3D8 system running X2-TDMA for about a week before going back to UHF. Depending on who you ask, it was due to bad alignment on the subscriber units or poor in-building coverage.

I suspect OP is upset that he can't buy a personal radio from just anyone off the street anymore. Or a wrecker driver, judging by the above post.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

adcockfred wrote:so you know what that means.
I have no clue what that means - far too painful to read. Suggest purchasing a keyboard with a functioning SHIFT key?
I'm also wondering how you picked up "scrambled" TDMA on 453.55 simplex... since TDMA requires infrastructure (simplex degrades to phase 1/FDMA) and it's rather unlikely that you have access to the encryption keys in use.
adcockfred
New User

Post by adcockfred »

adcockfred wrote: one big, long ramble about nothing
Ok, I'm locking this topic as it serves no purpose other than the OP to vent about something we cannot help him with in the least. - Wavetar

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”