XTS5000 RX Audio

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

XTS5000 RX Audio

Post by WV8VFD »

Hello all,

At my work we just got some XTS5000s in. The RX audio is very weird sounding. On our old CP200s talking to the XTS5ks you have to hold the radio right to your mouth when you talk. If you hold it more than an inch or two away you can barely hear what is being said, even with the volume all the way up. This happens on both our repeater, simplex, and some of the other channels we monitor. It almost sounds like they weren't programmed as narrow band.

They all do this. At first I thought one had a bad speaker, then I noticed they all do it.

Anything in particular to look at?

Also, two of them show a blinking green light on scan, the rest dont. Is this a firmware thing? Or is it a programmable option?

Thanks
Tyler Lewis
mike m

Re: XTS5000 RX Audio

Post by mike m »

It sounds like Hear Clear audio compression/expansion is enabled on these personalities.

For hear Clear to properly work it needs to be enabled on all radios this includes the system infrastructure(repeater) and the CP200's.

green LED during scan?, huh let me think about this unless someone else has an idea, I know red is a busy channel indicator and a receiver indicator of other special operating conditions, encrypted reception etc but I can't remember what the green LED indicates.

Mike
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

Ok. We'll go in and check the hear clear. It'll need to be disabled.

Yeah, two of them have a flashing green LED when scan is turned on, and it goes out when scan is turned off. I hope it isn't a firmware specific thing, and if it is, all of our portables have the same firmware. It is like the CP200s on scan in that sense. I'd like to be able to turn it on on all of them. We have our repeater, and another one we have to monitor, and the other guards can barely operate the cp200s let alone an XTS. Thankfully they're only model 1s. The other guys use that to confirm they're on scan on the CP200s, so I'd like to be able to keep it on the XTS radios. I'll look when we can get into them.

Thanks!
Tyler Lewis
mike m

Post by mike m »

All of my xts5ks are model 3 and there may be a model 1 setting for scan to turn the green led on to indicate scan is on. Ill search cps n see what I find for scan indicators.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP

Post by WV8VFD »

I'm waiting on a cable to get here. I've been playing with the CPS, and all I can find is a setting called "Scan Feedback" (dont quote me on the exact name) I think it is in radio configuration. However, help says it is an audio feedback, not a light. Cable should be here Monday, I'll see what I can see when I get it.
Tyler Lewis

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”