XTL 5000 Conversion to Motorcycle

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

XTL 5000 Conversion to Motorcycle

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I would like to reconfigure my existing XTL5000 high powered remote mount VHF mobile to be configured with the motorcycle CH hardware so I can mount the 05 CH, speaker, and mic all on one piece of motorcycle hardware in the driver's compartment. It will be a partial motorcycle conversion, as I am only concerned with the up front stuff (CH, spkr, and mic hang up on the integrated metal motorcycle mounting hardware). Strictly a matter of the convenience for hanging and integrating all of the up front stuff in the cabin onto a single piece of hardware, so it’s all in one physical spot.

Does anyone know what is in the H1822 motorcycle conversion kit, in terms of the up front hardware stuff I am referring to? Parts ID did not have the breakout list, or they might not want to spend the time to run it down. I hope I don't have to order the entire H1822, as it is $900.

The concern I have is whether there is something unique in the remote CH cables, such as some kind of angled connectors, etc. so the plugs in the rear of the standard 05 CH don't collide with the mounting hardware stuff, immediately behind the CH.

Thanks, in advance!
GlennD

Re: XTL 5000 Conversion to Motorcycle

Post by GlennD »

I have no idea what the conversion kit consists of. The stock motor radio has a short all in one control cable that plugs into everything but the USB connector, It uses a motorcycle mic with a DB9 connector. The control head is a stock 05 head with a sun shade.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Do you have the install guide pdf handy? I am almost positive that one of the older ones showed a detailed chart and diagrams that's showed it. One thing was different, but I also may be thinking of the W5 Motor setup.

AFAIK, I think the rear of the O5 housing was changed for the outside environment.

Of course, don't need to tell you about TX with the high powered drawer back there, unless you want to heat up the driver :)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

We went through this in 2011. We had a NIB 800 mid-power remote mount XTL5000. The police department wanted to put it on their law enforcement-version Harley that they had purchased used from another PD (it was obvious that the first owner had been running a motorcycle Spectra). We bought that kit, and if I can find the box, I'll let you know what all it included (I only remember some of it). Motorola sales left us with the original O5 head. It was interesting that the CPS "motorcycle option" was not selectable when we programmed, so we turned down the RF via CPS to 10 watts manually under the low TX power option for obvious reasons and ran the radio with an "L" on the display. Not sure what other features we couldn't get to as a result of not being a true motorcycle radio. The radio worked fine with all of the custom cabling included in the kit (mic, headset, factory handlebar-mounted ptt, speaker, etc.). I do remember a waterproof mic, speaker, custom control cable, and a Harley-specific mounting bracket for the head and speaker.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”