05 Control Head- Sync to XTL5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ASTROMODAT

05 Control Head- Sync to XTL5000

Post by ASTROMODAT »

If I purchase a new 05 CH from Moto parts (black one, APX) to use with my existing remote mount XTL5000 (currently has an 05 CH of the same vintage, but original 05 CH recently failed), will this new 05 head be backward compatible to a 3 year old XTL5000? Or, must I sync the new CH with the radio?

I understand that if an 05 CH has firmware that pre-dates an XTL5000 drawer, then Yes, I’d need to sync them. However, I heard (and maybe this is wrong!) that an 05 CH with current firmware is generally backwards compatible with a drawer that is a bit older, without requiring a sync. True?
Jim202

Re: 05 Control Head- Sync to XTL5000

Post by Jim202 »

ASTROMODAT wrote:If I purchase a new 05 CH from Moto parts (black one, APX) to use with my existing remote mount XTL5000 (currently has an 05 CH of the same vintage, but original 05 CH recently failed), will this new 05 head be backward compatible to a 3 year old XTL5000? Or, must I sync the new CH with the radio?

I understand that if an 05 CH has firmware that pre-dates an XTL5000 drawer, then Yes, I’d need to sync them. However, I heard (and maybe this is wrong!) that an 05 CH with current firmware is generally backwards compatible with a drawer that is a bit older, without requiring a sync. True?

Plug it in. It will either work or throw the "Maintenance Mode" display. If it works, your good to go. If you get the message, then you need to do the sync.

Jim

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”