I think I was lied to ??

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k8zgw
New User

I think I was lied to ??

Post by k8zgw »

We have a ASTRO T99DX+131W D04UJF9PW5AN, which was working fine in
a county trunking system, (just) listening to about 15 TG's.
The county 'switch" to "MARCS_IP". which is "Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) "
and the radio shop said the radio was "in-capable" of being used on this system.
can anyone shed some light on this ?

Thanks

Don
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: I think I was lied to ??

Post by escomm »

MARCS is a P25 trunking system. What's the flashcode of the radio? You're probably getting the straight story.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

MARCS is still a SmartZone OmniLink system using P25 voice. You would need the SmartZone Omnilink and ASTRO voice option in the flashcode for it to work properly. At some point they are looking at swtiching over to a Phase 1 or 2 system IIRC, but it hasn't happened yet due to the sheer volume of orginal astro radios on the system.

You need at the least these in the flashcode:
G806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
G173 SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

Just got through a presentation from the head guy of MARCS a few weeks ago. They are currently in the process of switching to a phase 2 system. Cuyahoga County has X2 towers online, but I am not sure of their switch yet. If they have gone online with it for day to day ops in the OP's county, them I doubt you're going to listen to it with an astro spectra.
Tyler Lewis
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

is the new MARCS overlay a true P25 phase 2 or Ma M's proprietary X2 TDMA? Just curious.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Pj wrote:MARCS is still a SmartZone OmniLink system using P25 voice. You would need the SmartZone Omnilink and ASTRO voice option in the flashcode for it to work properly. At some point they are looking at swtiching over to a Phase 1 or 2 system IIRC, but it hasn't happened yet due to the sheer volume of orginal astro radios on the system.

You need at the least these in the flashcode:
G806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
G173 SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation

Depending on his area, they will be moving to 700Mhz freq's, astro spectra will not support 700Mhz.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

MTS2000des wrote:is the new MARCS overlay a true P25 phase 2 or Ma M's proprietary X2 TDMA? Just curious.
I stand corrected once I went back over the handouts. As far as I know for now they are going true phase 1, rather than Smartzone Omnilink, with the ability to switch to phase 2 at a later date.
Tyler Lewis
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

In either case, it's still in a distant future considering the size if the system and subscriber base.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
DPL

Post by DPL »

Pj wrote:In either case, it's still in a distant future considering the size if the system and subscriber base.
MARCS-IP is being used for day-to-day operations in many counties even though the system has not been built statewide. They are not planning an all-at-once migration.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6643

OP, you are probably being told correctly.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”