ADP on XTS5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

60EMT15

ADP on XTS5000

Post by 60EMT15 »

My XTS5000 is flashed with ADP. However when i set up a secure channel i get "Key Fail" when i hit the PTT. Any Ideas?? I dont know much about encryption.
Bigfella237

Re: ADP on XTS5000

Post by Bigfella237 »

ADP 101...

1. Read the radio with CPS
2. In Radio Configuration > Controls > Switches: Set the concentric switch "Position A" to "Secure Tx Select" and "Position B" to "Clear Tx Select"
3. In Radio Configuration > Secure > Secure Configuration > General tab: Check "Secure Equipped" and "Advanced Digital Privacy"
4. In Radio Configuration > Secure > Secure Multikey List: Enter your ADP keys (pick a nice easy number to remember :lol: )
5. In Conventional > Conv Personality > Conv Pers 1(2,3 etc) > Secure tab: Set "Secure/Clear Strapping" to "Select"
6. In Conventional > Conv Personality > Conv Pers 1(2,3 etc) > Secure II tab: Set "Voice - Key Strapping" to "Select" and in "Key Selection" select the ADP key you want to use for that personality
7. Re-write the codeplug

Now select the channel on the radio that uses the personality in step 5 and you should be able to switch between clear and enc via the concentric switch, you should also see a symbol on the display letting you know you're secure?

Of course it helps to have more than one radio for testing? :p

Andrew
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

SW ADP will only work on digital channels.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by Bigfella237 »

spectragod wrote:SW ADP will only work on digital channels.
Is there any other kind these days? :D

Thanks SG, I knew I'd forgotten something!

Andrew
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Bigfella237 wrote:
spectragod wrote:SW ADP will only work on digital channels.
Is there any other kind these days? :D

Thanks SG, I knew I'd forgotten something!

Andrew
Uhhhhmmmm yeah, been there and done that myself.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by 60EMT15 »

Bigfella237 wrote:ADP 101...

1. Read the radio with CPS
2. In Radio Configuration > Controls > Switches: Set the concentric switch "Position A" to "Secure Tx Select" and "Position B" to "Clear Tx Select"
3. In Radio Configuration > Secure > Secure Configuration > General tab: Check "Secure Equipped" and "Advanced Digital Privacy"
4. In Radio Configuration > Secure > Secure Multikey List: Enter your ADP keys (pick a nice easy number to remember :lol: )
5. In Conventional > Conv Personality > Conv Pers 1(2,3 etc) > Secure tab: Set "Secure/Clear Strapping" to "Select"
6. In Conventional > Conv Personality > Conv Pers 1(2,3 etc) > Secure II tab: Set "Voice - Key Strapping" to "Select" and in "Key Selection" select the ADP key you want to use for that personality
7. Re-write the codeplug

Now select the channel on the radio that uses the personality in step 5 and you should be able to switch between clear and enc via the concentric switch, you should also see a symbol on the display letting you know you're secure?

Of course it helps to have more than one radio for testing? :p

Andrew

I followed what you said to do. Now when i select ADP it creates 8 "Keys". They are named CKR1 through CKR8. The selectable ADP key ID is 0001 through 0008. And the Selectable ADP Key data is all star out. As in ******. I set the centric switch for clear and secure. I still get the key fail when i key up on the digital channel i pick to use the ADP on.
Bigfella237

Post by Bigfella237 »

There is much more detail in the CPS help menu on ADP but yes, with software-based encryption you are fixed at eight keys, no more, no less.

The display of the actual key data in the Multikey list is masked ("********"), but (as in step 4) you still must enter these keys before use as even a blank field gets masked, which seems stupid to me.

Andrew
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

Bigfella237 wrote:There is much more detail in the CPS help menu on ADP but yes, with software-based encryption you are fixed at eight keys, no more, no less.

The display of the actual key data in the Multikey list is masked ("********"), but (as in step 4) you still must enter these keys before use as even a blank field gets masked, which seems stupid to me.

Andrew
To add to this - even if your not going to use all 8 keys, put something in all of them - When we first started with ADP, we just put a single key in the radio (first key), and left keys 2-8 blank as read from the radio. This didn't get it. It wasn't until we put values in all 8 positions that the keys stayed and or that we stopped having wierd things happen (like loss of key). Even though we never use this particular key, we put 0123456789 into unused keys. BTW, the key is a 10 digit hexidecimal key - 0-9,A-F are valid characters.
B.
Forts

Post by Forts »

I've had no problems just entering data for a single key (XTS2500 & XTL2500/5000).

Doesn't sound like the original poster entered anything for key data.
Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

Post by Terriers618 »

Does the multikey flashcode option not affect ADP? Last I checked if you don't have multikey you only get one key regardless of encryption type you want to use. Maybe I am mistaken with the 5000

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”